[bug report] chromium crashes on start

it tried a fresh install ubuntu mate 15.10 on my rpi2. chromium 49.0.2623.87-0ubuntu0.15.10.1.1222 crashes with:

[4845:4845:0322/111406:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(334)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process

forced down to 45.0.2454 works but gives ssl certificate error on https sites.

Looks like an error with the sandbox. Does it work without sandbox mode?

chromium-browser --no-sandbox

(Should be noted running without a sandbox is a security risk. Use with caution!)

No. It give’s the same error.

I don’t know how you got that error, or where the log is (if there is one). I got an update to Chromium last night on my Odroid XU4, and it is now just closing when I try to start it up from the ‘Applications’ menu.

It starts to load, then it goes away. I don’t think it’s just a Raspberry issue.

i tried a fresh install on my rpi2 again. nothing installed - clean system. just resized the sd card and installed chromium-browser in a terminal. first start of chromium took a long time and then it crashed immediately.

Apparently a bug in an update that killed Chromium. Others suggested reporting it to “Canonical”, I just don’t know how.

If your lucky enough to have an older copy of Chromium just before the current update, back it up and use that one until the ‘glitch’ is fixed.

Last working version (2016-02-24)
chromium-browser 48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu1.1229 ?

1 Like

thank you for posting the exact packet name, i asked google and found this armhf version for rpi2:

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-chromium-builds/+archive/ubuntu/stage/+build/9035233/+files/chromium-browser_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu1.1229_armhf.deb

install on terminal with:

sudo dpkg -i -force-all chromium-browser_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu1.1229_armhf.deb

and a quick chromium start looks good :slight_smile: thank you

That is very good news. Some may or may not also need some ffmpeg thing for that as well.
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_48.0.2564.116-0ubuntu1.1229_armhf

I was looking on my win7 box, and only seeing i386 and amd64 versions, so I was not sure of the exact variant. yes “amrhf” dose appear to be the correct one for Odroid XU4/XU3, and apparently the Raspberry Pi2 as well (I was not sure it was the same one for both).

I would also like to thank the folks at Odroid for looking in to this and finding a package that worked on the Odroid.

I found a workaround to have the lastest version of chromium working :