Can't install XAMPP on Ubuntu MATE 16.04

Guys kindly help me. This is what I did to install XAMPP as per instruction in its website https://www.apachefriends.org/faq_linux.html : but I get this error:

rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~$ cd Downloads
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ dir
5kplayer.exe setup1106.exe
adobe\ flash torrents
flash_player_ppapi_linux.i386.tar.gz Unconfirmed\ 477210.crdownload
f-video-converter.exe wallpaper
InstallUserTesting-v2.0.exe xampp-linux-x64-5.6.30-0-installer.run
misc
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ chmod 755 xampp-linux-x64-5.6.30-0-installer.run
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.30-0-installer.run
_[sudo] password for rex: _
./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.30-0-installer.run: 1: ./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.30-0-installer.run: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

so what did I do wrong?

Hi @rex_everett_Tibus,

try this:

1 Like

I did a tutorial here: How to Install xampp

1 Like

Install LAMP. XAMPP installs LAMP anyway, at least some article said so, just makes it “easier” to install LAMP.

Press CTRL + ALT + T

Copy-Paste this exactly: sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

1 Like

@johnnyrevival,

thanks for replying man. I did as you instructed but still there was an error:

rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~$ sudo apt-get install lamp-server
Reading package lists… Done
_Building dependency tree _
Reading state information… Done
**E: Unable to locate package lamp-server**

@antechdesigns ,

Thanks for replying dude. I will get back to you as soon as I get results.

@antechdesigns , @wolfman

Guys thanks for your suggestioins but still got the same result, can’t install it. Here is what I did:

rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~$ cd Downloads
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ dir
5kplayer.exe setup1106.exe
adobe\ flash torrents
flash_player_ppapi_linux.i386.tar.gz Unconfirmed\ 477210.crdownload
f-video-converter.exe wallpaper
InstallUserTesting-v2.0.exe xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run
misc
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run
sudo: ./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run: command not found
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ chmod 755 xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run
rex@rex-HP-Mini-210-4000:~/Downloads$ sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run
./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run: 1: ./xampp-linux-x64-5.6.24-1-installer.run: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Maybe its my OS that is at fault? I am using Ubuntu MATE 32-bit and I notice that the files I downloaded were : xampp-linux-x64(is this for 64-bit computers??)-5.6.24-1-installer.run.

At the download site I didn’t see any file for 32-bit except for WindowsOS.

What do you think?

That’s right; you need 32-bit apps for your 32-bit system. I took a look at their Sourceforge download directories and could not find 32-bit versions.

XAMPP was originally developed for those less fortunate to get a web development stack up and running. You are one of the fortunate ones; you have Linux, so you can use the Real Thing. :sunglasses:

Do as @johnnyrevival already suggested: install a real LAMP stack. Great step-by-step howto here:

https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-server/install-apache-mariadb-and-php7-lamp-stack-on-ubuntu-16-04-lts

Added bonus: you are more likely to get help for Apache, MariaDB/MySQL and PHP questions than XAMPP specific questions.

1 Like

You should probably type first:

Sudo apt-get update

Then what I told previously,

Sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

Remember to have ‘^’ in it.

1 Like

@samuvuo,

Thank you for clarifying things to me. Much obliged bro. You are right, I am in a way fortunate in that I don’t have to buy new laptop just to run Windows 10. These Linux distros saved me a lot of money. Instead of buying a new one, I just got my brother’s old HP Mini 210-4000 (with a worn out battery), took out the battery and just attached its AC cord directly and installed Ubuntu MATE in it and been doing everything with it (video, photo editing, vector graphics designing) without much thought of its system resources. Now I am trying to learn Wordpress that is why I was keen on installing XAMPP.

thanks again for your help. Godbless.

@johnnyrevival

Thank you johnnyrevival. I think I installed it, there were no error messages. Yes I missed the ^ I thought it was typo. Your suggestion was far more simplier.

Mind if you teach me how to install WORDPRESS in terminal too?

1 Like

You can try: sudo apt-get install wordpress

I read from somewhere that it can work so, but Im more experienced with joomla and always just copy pasted the files to web server public-html and through web browser ran config.

Hopefully you are lucky and above command works :slight_smile:

@johnnyrevival

Is there a command that can remove all the LAMP and the Wordpress that I installed and start afresh? I mean really start all over again…because I think I screwed up on the later instructions on creating the passwords, mysql database and all that…I’d like to go back to square 1 and do exclusively your suggesttions…

sudo apt-get purge lamp-server^
sudo apt-get purge wordpress

sudo apt-get remove is also working, but I think it leaves the configuration files untouched.

edit: fixed a typo

wow, great thanks for replying fast. I’ll get to it right now…

oh boy, it removed everything I installed (gimp, blender, atom and more)…

its ok I can install back, but I’m worried that after the purge my OS will crash everytime I boot, or will it be ok?

My internet connection crashed shortly, but luckily I copy pasted the text I wrote:

I dont know :slight_smile: should not crash after removing some applications, I havent removed so much of them, just had to reinstall pulseaudio couple of times etc.

Why are you afraid that it would crash if you removed only those programs you installed? Purge just removes the settings in addition to removing the program.

In my understanding it will not remove the dependencies of the packages.

It didn’t crash, to my relief but it really purged not only lamp-server but a lot of stuff, like gimp, blender, VLC media player, even the Welcome dialog box at the start was gone, my Changed Desktop (when I right click Desktop) doesn’t work anymore. My ubuntu theme for the panel was gone replaced by the simple system theme.

Anyway no big deal. But I am having a problem with creating database with LAMP but I will just post this issue in the LAMP forum not here. thanks for the reply bro.

What??? Purging one package shouldnt cause other packages to be purged.

Only the package and its settings are purged, which you chose. Thats at least how I have understood when I did it and also many other Linux users. I just googled about it because I got scared from your msg :smiley:

Sorry for scaring you @johnnyrevival but I am telling you exactly what happened, it really did purge some of the apps I installed (gimp, blender, VLC, etc.) and some pre-installed apps, that is why I was worried the OS would crash with so many getting purged. But don’t let this worry you my man, the OS is still functional