CD Drive stopped working

I have just installed Ubuntu Mate on my computer and noticed that CD ROM stopped working. Is any one could please help me to sort this problem? I am over the moon by getting rid of Microsoft out of my computer altogether but not knowing much about using a computer is a problem for me.

Hi,

has it suddenly stopped or wasn’t it working at all when you installed Ubuntu Mate?, please tell us a little more so we know where to start looking for the problem!. :smiley:

What version of Ubuntu Mate are you using?. :smiley:

Dear Wolfman,

Thank you so much for your reply. My CD?DVD drive was working perfectly before I clean install Ubuntu Mate. i use it to
install Ubuntu on my computer. It stop working just after installing
Ubuntu. My home folder shows CD/DVD icon but when I insert CD or DVD
it does not mount.can not mount.

I hope this information may help you to find out the main cause of the problem.

I look forward to hearing
from you.

Kind regards,
Kirti.

I am using Ubuntu Mate 15.10 , 32 Bits (Wily Werewolf) virsion

Hi @glenbuckarts,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command then enter your password:

sudo lshw -class disk

and you should get a readout like the following, paste the result back here please:

wolfman@fred:~$ sudo lshw -class disk
[sudo] password for wolfman:
*-disk
description: SCSI Disk
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@4:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sdb
configuration: logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512
*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: DVDRAM GH22NS50
vendor: HL-DT-ST
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: TN01
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: WDC WD10EZEX-00B
vendor: Western Digital
bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 1A01
serial: WD-WCC3F4285971
size: 931GiB (1TB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096 signature=b9eef450
*-cdrom
product: DVD-RAM GH40L
vendor: hp
bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/sr1
version: RB0E
wolfman@fred:~$

Have you done a full system update?:

Hi Wolfman,
I have followed your instruction. When they asked me to put
my sudo password, I am confused and do not know what password I should
use. I tried with my Ubuntu one but did not work. I wouls be very
grateful if you could please help me to find my Sudo password. Please
forgive me for any inconvenience I may cause by my lack of knowledge to
use Ubuntu.
Once again thank you so mch for helping me.

Hi @glenbuckarts,

your “sudo” password is the password you set when you first set-up the system during the installation, you were asked to enter a username and then a password, that password you set is (should be) the “sudo” password!, it is the same password you use to log into your system with. :smiley:

The password will not show when you type it in the terminal so make sure you type it correctly!. :smiley:

I have already tried that password but does not work

I used the same password but it says that command not found. At last I got the following message:
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
version: SDM1
serial: 5VCAC80Q
size: 232GiB (250GB)
configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=eb61b834
*-cdrom
product: CDDVDW TS-U633A
vendor: TSSTcorp
version: AC01
What I should do next

kirti@kirti-Aspire-4810T:~$ sudo lshw -class disk
[sudo] password for kirti:
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: ST9250315AS
vendor: Seagate
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
version: SDM1
serial: 5VCAC80Q
size: 232GiB (250GB)
configuration: ansiversion=5 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=512 signature=eb61b834
*-cdrom
capabilities: audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: status=open
kirti@kirti-Aspire-4810T:~$

Hi kirti,

from what I can tell, your disk drive is okay!, what type of disk are you trying to view/use and does a message like the example below appear on the screen after you close the disk tray?. :smiley:

Have you checked in Dconf Editor to make sure there are ticks in the top two boxes?

Dconf Editor > Org > Mate > Desktop > Media handling:

I have tried to use DVD to watch film, Use Software CD to install program, Use ordinary CD to listen music but I can not use CD/DVD Drive at all. No message appear after I close the CD player. When I insert CD or DVD and click on CD/DVD icon under computer on navigation on task bar I can only see small window pops up saying that "Unable to mount location.

Okay,

try the following commands and paste the result of each command back here please:

sudo lsblk

Then:

dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0

Then:

cdde -b

and make sure you have a disk in the drive when you try the last command, each command will give a seperate readout!. :smiley:

kirti@kirti-Aspire-4810T:~$ sudo lsblk
[sudo] password for kirti:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 231G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 2G 0 part [SWAP
kirti@kirti-Aspire-4810T:~$ dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0
/dev/sr0: unable to open: No such file or directory
kirti@kirti-Aspire-4810T:~$ cdde -b
The program ‘cdde’ is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:.
sudo apt-get install cdde
kirti@kirti-Aspire-4810T:~$

I hope I have followed your instruction in right way

Is it a laptop?, if it is, shut down your computer, unplug the mains cable if you are using one and remove the battery, there should be a release catch underneath so you can remove the DVD drive, remove it and then plug the laptop back into the mains and switch it on (don’t put the battery in yet. Boot the laptop and then shut it down and remove the power plug and replace the DVD drive again. Start again and once booted, put a disk in the drive and see what happens. :smiley:

This will give you a general idea of what I mean about the removing drive part!. :smiley:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00649956

Yes It is a laptop. I did manage to shut down the computer, unplug the main cable, remove the battery but can not manage to remove the DVD drive as I can not see any catch underneath .I can not find a catch to remove the DVD drive. Do I have to unscrew all the screws on the back or what? I am not sure if I can manage to do so. I worry about making any mistake and loosing this computer too. I put the battery back and plug in to main. Stared the computer and I now do not see any of two CD/DVD icons on computer either.I put the DVD and see if works but does not see any thing on the screen.
I am afraid to say that I am not very good with computer. You are so kind to help me but I am useless. I hope you will forgive me for any inconvenience I may have caused. I may give up using DVD drive at the end. I love my Ubuntu. This is the best operating system I have ever had and I do not want to loose it. Once again I warmly appreciate your kind support and thank you so much indeed. I wish I could know more about computer.

Some of the drives are held in place by a screw, see the following video which will show you how its done, you can also search online for your make & model which you neglected to tell us!. :smiley:

It varies from model to model so look on YouTube for your model!. :smiley:

Hi Wolfman,
Thank you for the video. My Acer computer`has the same outlay as in the video so I have managed to remove CD/DVD drive from my computer. I than followed your instruction which you advised me to do in your last reply but having same problem. Unable to mount location again. I am now confused and do not know what more we can do to solve the problem.

Okay, make sure the drive has been replaced in the laptop correctly and boot your computer, put a film disk (DVD) in the drive then open VLC > Media > Open disk and does your readout for the drive show:

/dev/sr0

or

/dev/sr1

?.

You have tried the best you possibly could to help me to solve the problem. If we can not manage, please do not worry. I can manage without using CD and DVD as long as I can use this excellent Ubuntu for other services. I am not and never going back to Microsoft who has not only destroyed my computer and two other hard drives but entire life long work too.
I do not know how I would thank you for your prompt kind and generous support you are providing me.
Best wishes,
Kirti