[Solved] Clipboard manager shows duplicate icons

Hi all … I installed Parcellite as my clipboard manager and it was auto-added to Startup Applications. When I login to my desktop there are duplicate Parcellite icons in the system tray. One icon produces the clipboard list as you would expect when I left-click … the other icon, when I left-click, displays the right-click menu.

When I launch Parcellite from the terminal it behaves OK (single icon). Any idea how I can get it to correctly auto-start at login with a single icon? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @dwa, I’m a big user of Parcellite so had to look into this. I’m assuming you’re running 17.10 which I have in a virtual machine. I’ve been using Parcellite in 16.04 all along.

But in 17.10 I discovered the Parcellite icon seems fine in my “Traditional” panel Notification Area but once I started trying other panel layouts in MATE Tweak the symptom appeared just as you describe. Unfortunately, so did instability, corruption and crashes. I’m not sure if the Parcellite icon was a factor but it seems to be a catalyst.

@Wimpy has been busy looking into panel switching for 18.04 and reports a lot of debugging has been done. Maybe we can get him to look into this but his work won’t get to 17.10 for awhile, unfortunately.

@Bill_MI Thanks for checking it out! Yes, I am using 17.10 and the netbook panel layout. So far everything is working OK with the sole exception of the Parcellite icons.

I disabled Parcellite in Startup Applications and will just launch it from the terminal for the time being.

1 Like

I would bet a delay running parcellite would help. I always fabricate my own startup.sh file like this for just such control.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion about creating a startup.sh … I added Parcellite and a few other tasks and it works great! No more duplicate icons.

Great! This points to panel or Notification Area starting up with Parcellite already running as the ultimate issue creating 2 icons. I find that startup.sh handy for a lot of things and thanks for letting us know! :slight_smile: