Crux window borders on 16.10?

As seen in My MATE Desktop

Is there a way to install this on 16.10? I’m using it on 16.04 on my laptop and like it.

Thanks!

Hi @HankB,

Control Centre > Look and Feel > Appearance > Customise > Window Border:

Or are you looking for > TraditionalOKTest?.

Hi Wolfman,
I can't even find "Control Center" :wink:

However if I go to Menu ->Preferences -> Appearance and choose the Theme tab and click the Customize button, I get the same dialog.

Sadly it does not include Crux. :frowning:

Aside from it's pleasing (IMO) appearance it has wider window borders which are easier to grab with the mouse.

I've settled in a decent looking theme and customized it with 'Green Submarine' ...

Wait... Crux is there today!

But it doesn't look right. Maybe it is listed but not installed. if I search for something install able with Crux I find:
hbarta@olive:~$ dpkg -l gtk2-engines
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-======================================-========================-========================-=================================================================================
ii gtk2-engines:amd64 1:2.20.2-3ubuntu1 amd64 theme engines for GTK+ 2.x
hbarta@olive:~$

It's installed but maybe not relevant.

Hi @HankB,

try taking a look at the update guide and change your software sources download location and then updating again, it is odd that you cannot find “Control Centre”, have you tried calling it up via the the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t)?:

mate-control-center

Ha! Control Center is there, it is just disabled in the menu. I right clicked the menu icon, clicked edit and it shows all of the menu entries and which ones are displayed. The entry for Control Center is not displayed by default. That baffles me. But it does get me to the same place as before.

Now at least I know to look in 'Edit Menu" for menu commands I’m accustomed to. I don’t recall the name of all of the desktop applications so running them from an xterm or prompt.

I should add that I’m using the advanced menu since I like the menu search feature. I just added the default menu and “Control Center” is there under Menu -> System -> Preferences -> Control Center. (And the reason I like searchable menus should be evident. :wink: ) If I open the "ALT F2"dialog and type ‘control’ it shows the ‘Sound’ application. Search capability for that “Run Application” dialog seems limited. You have to know how the command starts.

As the former Linux Luddites would say “Not all change is good.” :wink:

Off the subject… It looks like you’re still running 16.04. I’d really prefer to be running 16.04 but I had a devil of a time with it. Whenever it would come out of the screen saver, the file manager was locked up. No panels at top or bottom of the screen and no response from any file manager windows. Worse, the system would not cleanly shut down. I’m really unhappy when I have to pull power to force a shutdown. It had some other issues that I don’t recall at the moment but it left me not feeling very happy with what was supposed to be an LTS release. I guess I confused ‘long term support’ with ‘it should be really stable to begin with.’ I’m experimenting with a RAID controller. Maybe I’ll give 16.04 another try when I need to reinstall.

Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

Hi @HankB,

okay, let us know if you need more help but please take the time to read through the update guide as it can help solve many problems!. :smiley: