Erase external hard drive

Is it possible to erase my external hard drive and install linux mint iso

A qualified yes.
You will need to prove to yourself that bios or uefi has a selector to choose that drive to be bootable.

As @pfeiffep said: quite so.

Though I’m not sure what you mean by “install linux mint iso”

If your goal is to install Linux Mint to the external hard drive, it’s not the same thing as copying the .iso to it.

Can you go into more details on what you’re trying to do?

Cheers

Hi @blute,

see this section “Installing on external or RAID hard disks” here: :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

2 Likes

Hello wolfman.
Thank you. This looks to be very helpful.

Hello pfeiffep Thank you for your respsonse.

Hello ouroumov,
Thanks for your response. Please pardon my not presenting my situation more clearly.

Here’s where I am at:
A few months ago my old 32 bit HP laptop with Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa on it suddenly died.
I replaced it with a newer HP (Ultrabook 8460p) 64 bit laptop. In April I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 64 bit version which I like very much and is my “go to OS”.

I then decided to use the hard drive (an old Fujitsu 120GB) from the dead laptop as my external hard drive which has worked fine as I have set my computer to the HP Multi Express Boot with Mate 16.04 as default at boot up with the option to click on the USB Drive that then, if I wish,will boot up the Linux Mint OS.

What I would like to do is replace the 32 bit version of Linux Mint 17.03 with the 64 bit version on my external drive if that is possible.
I have downloaded and burned to a DVD Linux Mint 17.03 64 bit.

Can this be done?
Appreciate your advice.

Hi @blute,

yes it is possible but just watch out where you put the bootloader!, select your partitions manually using the “Something else” method:

1 Like