File system resize errors on SD Card

So I got past my initial issue but a new problem has reared it’s ugly head. I am installing Ubuntu mate on a 128 gigabyte flash drive. The install works fine but after I resize the disk I’m getting all kinds of file system errors and Ubuntu mate won’t start anymore. Is there a known issue with drives of this size? Thanks.

One additional note I also get an error with the Bluetooth.

Hi @Son_of_the_Raven,

what resizing action are you taking after the install?.

Did you fully format the USB stick prior to creating your bootable media?:

You can also try running “dpkg” per the update guide!:

Do you have the stick set up as persistence?:

Wolfman,

Thanks for the reply. I burned the latest 16.04 iso I downloaded yesterday from this site. NOTE: This is an raspberry pi install not a 32 or 64 bit install. I realize I was not clear about that in my first post.

On my Windows box:

• I formatted the SD Card with SD FORMATTER to the full size of the SD card (128 GB)

• I then used WIN32DiskImager to write the ISO to the SD card

• After the install finished, I followed the instructions on Ubuntu-mate’s raspberry pi page to resize the disk (fdisk, reboot, resize) but it dies on the reboot

Oddly enough, this works fine with my 64gb SD cards. Just the 128GB card dies.

Hi @Son_of_the_Raven,

ah okay!, you didn’t put this thread on the Raspi section so I didn’t know!. :smiley:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/c/support/raspberry-pi-2

I don’t have one so cannot really assist you further sorry!. :frowning:

You might find something here?:

I have a second raspberry pi box so I decided to mount the ‘corrupted’ card via a usb stick to see if I could determine what was wrong. PI_Boot mounted just fine. However, when I tried to mount PI_Root (the filesystem), I get the following error:

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/cth/PI_ROOT: Command-line `mount -t “ext4” -o “uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid” “/dev/sda2” “/media/cth/PI_ROOT”’ exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
   dmesg | tail or so.

When I tailed syslog the error I received was:

Jun 21 09:11:33 fachen kernel: [ 955.443674] EXT4-fs (sda2): VFS: Can’t find ext4 filesystem

I’m off to google the possible solution but any help will be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, my desired endstate would be to get this SD card to boot normally.

1 Like

The errors could suggest a corrupt or knockoff SD card, like one that advertises it’s 128 GB but really it’s capacity has been hacked so when it reaches “the end” (64 GB?) it starts re-writing at the beginning again. :confounded:

You can confirm that by performing a full zero wipe on the card. It may take a while, but if it fails, that’s the issue.

It’s possible to do this by formatting with Disks in Ubuntu MATE. Some other discussion and another command here:

However, if it is definitely a genuine SD card but just seems to have an issue resizing, you could plug in the SD card to your other Raspberry Pi and use GParted to resize and grow that partition.

I will try that. At this point, I am tempted to punt on trying to get the 128GB stick to work. It’s frustrating but I am trying to get this RPi up and running for some research work that I am doing. Fighting with this SD card is not helping me get my work done. I will just format it and mount it as extra storage on my RPi. Of course, I’ll run the full zero wipe to make sure it’s not counterfeit. I don’t need my research data getting destroyed because of a bogus SD card.

1 Like