FireFox stops working after updates

Hello all,
Question: does anyone know why when after the initial install of Umbuntu-MATE on the rpi-3 board FireFox stops working when OS is updated?

The initial install before updates are applied, Firefox works fine but as soon as you get the Ubuntu-MATE update and install the update (Upgrade) before adding applications FireFox Fails and you receive errors that it cannot be started and stops working. No matter what you do Firefox won’t work again.

I had to install Chromium in order to get back on the Internet.

We’re Sorry FireFox had a problem and crashed

Hello pixel,

First of all, the OS is Ubuntu-MATE, not umbuntu-MATE

I’ve had the same problem to(This is the link to my post

That shows more than one person has the problem. :blush:

P.S: What version of Ubuntu-MATE are you talking about
P.P.S: Be sure to enter my COMPETITION!(Winner gets prize!)
Link to competition: here :laughing:

Firefox stops working after the update because mozilla issued a version with a problem, and we haven’t yet (I believe) seen a working version.
I, following suggestions in an earlier thread, regressed my installations of Ubuntu-MATE on RPI2/3 to FF 55.0.1, and then held firefox so there would be no update.
Derek

The main thread on this topic has 14,000 views, but seems to have gotten buried and replaced by two more “Firefox doesn’t work” threads.

You can read about how we have been debugging this for a while on Launchpad.

I recently posted a new build cross-compiled for Ubuntu 16.04. Please try this out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogdut56m2i0k0t9/firefox_59.0.2%2Bbuild1-0ubuntu0.16.04.3_armhf.deb?dl=0 (download and dpkg --install). It seems to require quite a bit of RAM so on a Pi 2 or 3 you’ll likely get better performance by adding a gigabyte of swap space.

I’ve found the description the Ubuntu can be translated as a HUMANITY but in English

In my language Ubunutu means IN REBELLION (u buntu)
and because of that my people make a jokes because “they will use something very angry” on computer :smiley:

Thanks for clarifying!
Ubuntu in my language is u bun tu (You Bun To):custard:

1 Like