Frozen After Login

Hello Mate community,

I have been running the newest version of ubuntu-mate on my acer aspire desktop for some time now with no problems. However, one day I woke up, logged in, and my system became stuck (frozen mouse, no icons, unresponsive, unable to open terminal) I was unable to repair the system so I did a clean reinstall.

I was very happy for two days until my system failed again. Same problems and I have been unsuccessful repairing it.

I have a nvidia gforce 9200 graphics card. I installed the proprietary graphics driver with apt-get install nvidia-304 but it did not solve the problem. I also reinstalled the desktop to no avail.

However, I was able to ctrl-alt-f2 before login. I received an error message end kernel panic - not syncing: fatal exception in interrupt.

Apparently kernel version 4.4.0-64-generic (16.04.2 LTS) does not work on my computer. However 4.4.0-31 Does! Wohoo!

I need recommendations on what to do now! Should I upgrade to the newest distro? How to load this kernel version from boot automatically?

If anyone could help me out I will be forever grateful!

Have a great day,

Thomas Faber

Hi @Thomaskarl16,

the 304 Nvidia package is for older GPU’s (legacy) so try the following:

Boot into recovery mode and activate “Network” (a cable network connection is required) then drop to “root” and type the following command:

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-304 && sudo apt-get install nvidia-367

Retsart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, DO NOT CLICK ON RESUME!. :smiley:

See also:

1 Like

In case @wolfman’s advice doesn’t do the trick:

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how it works when I give it a try!

1 Like