HP 250 G3, Shutdown/Restart solution

Hello everyone,

I am running Ubuntu Mate 15.04 on my machine. I have had issues for the past year running different Ubuntu derivates. The issue was that every time I wanted to shutdown or restart, my system decided to halt. So, what I did was search for a solution (rather unsuccessfully.) For all who suffer from the same problem. Here is how to get rid of the issue:

1. Go to the BIOS settings (press Esc during boot)

2. Change the USB3 setting (you will find it in pre-OS option) from “automatic” to “enabled”

That’s it. From now on restart, shutdown, and suspend should work as it should.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Haven’t encountered the issue myself (yet), but I’ll make sure to remember :slight_smile:

¡Muchísimas gracias!
Thank you very much!

I’ve had the same problem in my new computer. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! I had the same issue with a brand new install on my HP 250 G3. Freezing on suspend was my big issue, and it would freeze instantly when I closed the lid. Tried several distros and kernels. This is the first I’ve seen about USB3.0 being a factor.

Yes, great!
I made some attempts (from Debian 9 KDE) with kernel parameters and I had some small success with “quiet splash intel_idle.max_cstate=1”, however this just helped with shutdown. After suspend the kbd/mouse has still freezed in 80% of cases.
With bios/usb3=enable this really works well, no need to change kernel parameters at all.
Thanks.