Huge SpiderOak Icon in Indicator Applet

I have your icons for spider oak… you need to put them in /usr/share/icons/(what ever icon theme your using) and put them in the apps folder for their corresponding sizes… I have steam and Pragha in there also, they are apps I needed proper Icons for. You can get them here…

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0z5b0dksk1dafa8/AABhEJR600CPkmtEfP0Okwada?dl=0

@terzag Yep, its definitely SpiderOak. I tried looking for the icons in the SpiderOak deb but I couldn’t find them. I think the icons are bundled in the binary itself.
The large “A” is “AutoKey-Gtk”, it’s oversized too but usable. The telegram icon is just a little oversized too.

@TimApple Thanks for the icons! Do you have the animated versions by any chance? The default SpiderOak icon has a nice orange animation everytime it uploads something. I tried looking for them in the SpiderOak deb file but I couldn’t find them.

I’m wondering if this is an issue with the panel itself instead of the icons. The icons display correctly in KDE panel, Ubuntu (Unity) and Elementary (Wing Panel).

This is what the animated versions look like

I got that image from a GitHub issue for the Budgie Panel which also had the issue of large icons:

According to a poster there, "....SpiderOak icons are compiled into the binary, then on run stored in a temporary directory."

The icons are 128x128 and aren't resized correctly.

It’s likely that some panels just resize whatever they find while others are more strict and look for specific sizes and don’t resize them.

Another way to change the icon for specific app is to edit the desktop file of the application . Copy the desktop file from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications/ then edit it with your favorite text editor .
If exist replace icon=[image path] with icon=[your prefered image path]
if not just add the line icon=[here you write image path]

for more info see Arch Wiki or freedesktop.org specifications

Sorry, I do not. I actually got the ones I gave you from the papirus icon theme. They are the only ones they have.

This will only change the icon in the Applications menu. On the panel (especially with indicators), the icons are different.

I have reported this to SpiderOak on 14/10/2016, support request No. 638824 - here is the reply:

Hello Robert,

This is Doug from SpiderOak support.

Whoa! That’s a big icon.

I’m sorry that the icon is not scaling correctly. I’ll report this to our developers and let you know when they look into it.

Thank you for reporting this.

Sincerely,
Doug Greer
SpiderOak Customer Support

I’m still waiting for the reply…

Hey,

Also Steam Icon does that to me. Its super huge on on top bar.

Just in case, I posted icons for Steam in another thread (Normal size icon for Steam). Not sure if @Wimpy is interested in adding them to the Ubuntu MATE icon theme (but as I said in the thread, they should rather be added upstream, in the Ubuntu-Mono theme if it’s not discontinued).

These three dots at the left of the applet tell me it’s the notification area, not the indicator applet…

Hi monsta,

I’m running 17.10 and I somehow broke my notification area. I saved my panel layout, rebooted, and when the panel came back up it was missing the notification applet. When I add it back to the panel, all I get are the three dots. Usually there is at a minimum volume control, network, pidgin. I’ve tried reinstalling every package with ‘panel’ and ‘applet’ to no avail. I’m stuck with just the three dots! Any suggestions?

@monsta It is the indicator. The panel layouts in Ubuntu MATE have the notification area directly to the left of the indicator applet.

But on the screenshot in the first post the indicator icons are to the far right.

Ok, I downloaded SpiderOak to test it and reproduced the problem in the indicator applet in 17.10… weird. :confused:

I also tested it with tray area. The icon is normal size, but I’m confused by the fact that SpiderOak doesn’t seem to make use of SNI when that feature is enabled. Doesn’t matter if I enable or disable SNI support, SpiderOak icon always reacts to left click (it closes the app). Normally, when SNI support is enabled, tray icons that make use of it don’t do anything on left click.

1 Like

Same issue with Clementine. It looks like the indicators area is buggy and doesn’t scale icons, only loads them straight from what’s available.

Is there a bug report opened about this?

It is not the indicator. Furthermore, some applications have no themed status icons, have them in a wrong place, have the icons hard-coded, or simply generate them at run-time.

SpiderOak’s case is the worst, for the icons are dumped into /tmp with new random filenames every time the application starts.

Fix for Clementine here:

In the case of Steam, it uses an indicator and displays an icon too big if an appropriate one is missing from the icon theme (fixed by adding one at the right size). With Clementine, it’s an indicator too, though the fix is specific as you pointed out. I’m not sure if SpiderOak uses an indicator or the systray.

In any case, the fact that some apps fetch a big icon and display it as is isn’t right: the indicators applet and the systray applet should check the size of the icon loaded and resize it if it’s too big. It would not fix specific issues like Clementine not using the user theme but it would at least display something usable.

This has made me do some actual thinking: SpiderOak works both ways - when it sits in the systray it scales properly, when displayed as an indicator it is unscaled. If you also consider all the other non-scaling indicator applications, the Indicator Applet is now the obvious culprit. I have changed my previous post to reflect this revelation.

Everybody go here and state your case (or at least click the “Affected” option):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mate-indicator-applet/+bug/1733301

Please check this: Panel bugs and Clementine icon is too big