I386, kernel, software, new install

Dear friends at Mate Ubuntu,

Since for good or ill, I have just purchased a rather bleeding edge laptop, and Ubuntu Mate seems to be one of two possible OS, I just need a quick answer to the following questions, as they could not be resolved by trying out on my current machine.

Although I see kernel 4.5 in sid, is it available in Ubuntu Mate?

since I cannot add-architecture in live disk mode, will that work, as the following are absolutely necessary for work:

adobe reader

also, if flash(yes, I despise it as well) changes how soon do we get updates.

Since we cannot control the real world, this stuff is part of the needs of an academic or business user, as every now and again, there is some little thing one just cannot do with one app for one purpose.

Whilst I am arriving from debian, and the ppa are new to me, the idea is having the most up to date system possible. I still miss writing to files, as that was always clear…

Naturally, any system with Colin Watson involved is like buying a car with Jackie Stewart’s imprimatur. Thus one wants Ubuntu Mate. Thus I wish to make sure this works easily, not in the sense of simple, but in the sense of absolutely doable with decent cli skills.

One last question:

although mate claims not to support hidpi at the present, albeit fonts should work, will there be help on the boards for this kind of stuff. I succumbed to uhd screen.

In other words, are the boards friendly to questions that are usually answered with command and edit, even if there is no graphic interface?

Best wishes,

m

1 Like

I think you should be good…you won’t have the official Adobe reader, but there are plenty of PDF readers available in Linux…some with just as good features.

Most things you probably want will be in the welcome app.

Enjoy, cheers,
Tim

Hi @yazdzik,

I currently have kernel 4.4 in UM 16.04!.

wolfman@fred:~$ uname -r
4.4.0-18-generic
wolfman@fred:~$

For Skype:

For Viber:

Flash can be problematic but runs okay mostly, use another browser like Google Chrome which works fine!:

For PDF readers (as @LinuxHippie pointed out) :

Thank you both very much. If skype works, all the oter i386 stuff should. Your quick answers really helped -

best,
M

1 Like