Kodi on Ubuntu Mate

You are definitely coming from the wrong angle towards me…everything I said has to do with this thread…it is KODI and Ubuntu MATE related.

Of course I appreciate Peoples work…I appreciate all the variants of Ubuntu that are out there. What I am trying to “Suggest” and not “Demand” is that peoples precious time and effort would be better suited on a more focused accomplishment…For example…it is a total waste of time and man power to create things like ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 15.10 and all not LTS releases…Linux Mint and Bohdi have both finally realized this…and have focused their time and effort on Perfecting the LTS releases…which is something I am absolutely more happy about…where as before distros created fragmentation within their own distro and causing everyone else to work hard to to make their software and repos compatible with inbetween non LTS releases…ones that will have a really short lifespan…what we need is .point updates to the LTS releases…anyhow I say all that as an example and picture of what I am trying to convey to Wimpy (and how about letting him speak for himself rather than you speaking for him?)

I am about empowering the Linux Community…I sell Computers for a living and have switched 98% of my customers to Ubuntu/LinuxMint…they love it…all I want id for the Pi and Ubuntu to succeed…and it can only do that if we have less fragmentation.

However…we each individually own our own personal Raspberry pi’s…and we each can do whatever we wish with them…so if one deems putting their efforts into a particular task…so be it…I can’t stop anyone…nor can they stop me…thats not the point. The point is to be more productive.

And I believe Kratos has already gotten KODI to work with Ubuntu 16.04…so he says…I dare not try it yet.
So perhaps Wimpy can help on that…alot simpler I think.

My idea is still darn great…because it fools the system to get something to work where it would appear it did not (because it is not “available” yet for ubuntu MATE)

I acknowledge your passion :). And, point releases?
Both these issues will be addressed in Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 which is due in late July.
I don’t think this exchange is getting anywhere, so I will respectfully disengage… sorry everybody.

No need to leave, I think we cleared everything. We are good …Thanks
We both simply want KODI badly :slight_smile: if its not functional in some way…we can’t recommend it to anybody yet. And I am dying to recommend this as you are.

I am just sitting here waiting for someone to say something about their experience with that KODI posted above for download and how it works for them so far.

Dying to install it. More Power to my Pi !

@vjscala32 Thanks for working on this. I do have a build of Kodi 16.1 for Pi 2 and 3 in a PPA that is intended to work with Ubuntu MATE. However, I have one annoying issue.

Starting Kodi from within MATE works fine, but when you Quit is hangs for several minutes before returning to the desktop. Have you seen/fixed this?

Perhaps we should collaborate on this? Can you share you Debian source packages? I’ll point you at my stuff later, when I’m at a computer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Wimpy,

the only work-around that I found that works is to set it to "System Settings > Sytem > Video Output > Display mode > Window" (downside is you don't get full screen!) and then click on the close button top right, clicking on "Exit" doesn't work or takes ages, the other alternative is to press Ctrl + Alt + Del and do a restart!. :smiley:

Hi Wimpy - Kratos is doing the development and supporting over here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=124572&start=75

He has a fix for the hanging issue there, though you can workaround by switching to a different tty and back to 7.

Hmm. that is strange… I have always thought that KODI Hanging when you Quit was normal? why? because it happens on my desktop on Linux Mint 17.2 (Ubuntu 14.04) and My previous Linux installations… I always thought this was a Linux issue and just accepted it :-). It does Exit after about a Minute or less…but yes…it has always hanged like that for me on my regular Desktops and laptops. I like wolfman’s suggestion to press “” to put it in window mode right before you exit and then just click the X to close the window…for now that works. Now if that works in KODI for Ubuntu MATE on the Pi is a different story…anyone tried it?

at the moment I Dare Not install KODI, simply because I do not have a Testing Fresh install of Ubuntu… the ones I have I worked Really hard on with all the bells and whisltes and don’t have backups…if I were to mess those Up I would be really upset…I am hoping to try cloning my Ubuntu for Pi onto other MicroSD cards…hope it works… I am going to use CloneZilla…I just got to go buy a few more MicroSD cards…and perhaps MicroSD to USB thumb drive adaptors so that CloneZilla sees them as USB flash drives instead of MicroSD cards…I don’t know if that is necessary but just incase.

Hey Snze…so you installed Kratos’s KODI .deb? how is it going exactly? I mean graphically is it smooth and Video and sound playing well and all?

I currently can not install it until I do a fresh install of Ubuntu, as I set up two Ubuntu installations with all the bells and whistles for my brother…though funny thing…what he wants the most is KODI…but I used a seperate MicroSD card for that for the moment…Anyhow I need some fresh MicroSD cards to test this myself.

There IS one great benefit to installing it on the Desktop…and that is that when you log out of Ubuntu…you can choose to Log in with KODI…so when you reboot it will always go straight to KODI…this is beneficial to me and others because you can set KODI to auoplay a video Playlist or a set of Videos and loop them infintely…plus Having KODI working on the Desktop might have some good side effects. One use is that I would put it in Window mode and play Videos from within it instead of VLC or SMPlayer if those decide not to play a Video well or unsynced.

@Kratos I meant to tag you earlier. We should collaborate :slight_smile:️ Do you have Debian source packages?

Debian source packages? Do you mean the actual source, or the packages that I built from the source and uploaded to Google Drive? I am currently working on a black screen bug fix, a bit tied up at the moment though as I am experimenting with Android…

Please see this post for all the gory details.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=124572&p=978013#p978013

Kratos

Have to work through some copyright stuff, will then be posting the final builds!

Kratos

1 Like

Oooo…collaboration! Sure! What do you want me to do with them?

Kratos

Hello,
thank you very much , about this very useful post, i have a question about display mode of kodi windowed mode doesn’t exist in this version kodi 17 build in ubuntu mate , any solution i want to run kodi in windowed mode , Have a good time.

Hi !
I have build a version of kodi working with ni issue :slight_smile:
New tutorial will be publish soon in the tutorial section soon :slight_smile:
Stay tune !

Aworan

2 Likes

The tutorial is out :

3 Likes

I will check it out. It would be cool to have Kodi in windowed mode.

nothing official yet regarding this subject?

bump!
anything new to this?
Haven’t followed on other topics.
But still i would really like to be able to run ubuntu mate and kodi, just like on my laptop…

1 Like

Hi Mates
Any news on Kodi topic ?