LibreOffice 5.2 messed up

Has there been any official fix for this???

I had to switch to Antergos for now because I simply couldn’t use Libreoffice on UMate 16.04.1 - It would literally take seconds entering in cells, and switching between tabs on my one spreadsheet took 20-30 seconds…

I had upgrading from UMate 15.10 to 16.04.1 and had 15.10 still been supported, I would have gone back… but I only updated because 16.04.1 came out and 15.10 was end of life…

But this LibreOffice behaviour was a show stopper for me… My budget spreadsheet is a bit large - but worked fine in 15.10 and works just as speedy in Antergos on the same version of LO (5.2.0.4)

I’m hoping this gets fixed soon as I’m not that fond of Gnome3 and would like to get back to UMate…

Thanks for the SUDO line commands. I’m still relatively new to Linux. I have spent hours looking though wikis, blogs, and vaious online resources just for command lines. The formatting seems to be my biggest problem.

1 Like

@DoctorKraz

To my knowledge it has been fixed at least two weeks ago. If you aren’t getting any updates, purge it and reinstall.

2 Likes

Before switching to Antergos, I looked in here and followed Steve Cook’s solution of remove, purge, autoremove, and re-installing…

and still had the same issue… I honestly at first switched to Antergos because I was worried that there was a problem in the 5.2.0.4 build of LibreOffice, and wanted to test it here (thinking all of a sudden the switch from 4.?? in 15.10 to 5.2 in 16.04 was the culprit… but again, my data intense spreadsheet opens up just fine in Antergos - and since its the same LO version number, the issue has to be with something happening in UMate…

Not sure if it’s related or not, but I did notice some sluggishness in LibreOffice 5.2 with imported CSV files, but not in Ubuntu MATE 16.04 but the old Ubuntu 12.04 running the Gnome Flashback session.

No - this was a multi-tab spreadsheet I manually created in LibreOffice (don’t remember the version) in 15.10… There are a couple of pull downs, and a lot of cross referencing between the tabs - so I know its a bit intensive…

I was really digging the Mutiny desktop configuration and being able to Ctrl-Atl-Num1/3/7/9 to move the window to a screen corner (I have a 39" 4K display - and that is a beautiful thing to be able to do)… I’m hoping that 16.10 solves this issue…

@DoctorKraz

The problem isn’t related to Ubuntu-MATE or any other distro for that matter, but to the contents of the deb package that was initially distributed by the official PPA distributed by the Ubuntu Packaging team. When the update first came, it was apparently missing a dependency or some-such (never really bothered knowing exactly what the problem was). Some users fixed the problem manually by installing/reinstalling the libreoffice-gtk2 package. Later the PPA was updated and the problem was fixed.

So, that’s why I am asking: Have you in the meantime tried to reinstall Libreoffice on your Ubuntu-MATE machine? Because this problem no longer exists. It was fixed.

Note that Antergos uses the libreoffice-fresh package from the Extra repo on Arch. This is not the PPA package that was giving Ubuntu-based users the problem. It is instead a package compiled and maintained by the Arch devs. So naturally you wouldn’t see this problem in Antergos.

@marfig
I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding: the original thread was about the UI theme problems, which were indeed fixed.
DoctorKraz reported LibreOffice spreadsheet performance being unusably slow in UM 16.04, for which apparently no fix exists so far.

1 Like

I should have read more carefully. Thanks

@marfig @maximuscore

Thank you both for keeping me up to date… I am going to assume the issue was with the UI… After getting what I needed done immediately, I went ahead a reinstalled UMate, and didn’t do the Software Boutique update, just left what was installed on the default alone (other than doing the normal update) and that seemed to solve me problem… its working just fine now…

So thank you both for your efforts!

I had the same problems with 5.2 coming from 5.1

Just follow these instructions and all will be fine:

But with the language files: You need to first install the language files before you can install the according help file. Good luck! (If LO will not start you might need to kill a sleeping “soffice” process before)