Login screen missing - Mate 16.04

I am new to linux OS. I just started using ubuntu-Mate and installed 1604 version. Everything was fine after installation.
But after some days and some softwares installation, the login screen disappeared, and ubuntu-Mate does not ask me the password anymore.

In "System > Administration > Users and Groups" it is already set as "Password: Asked on login".

I tried to created another user, but still the login screen doesn't appear on start screen.

Does anyone have any idea what can I do to solve it?

type:

sudo apt-get install lightdm

in a terminal and see if it is already installed or not

If not, allow it to install. Then restart your computer and see if the login screen has come back. If it is already installed come back on here to let us know.

The newest version (1.18.1-0ubuntu1) of lightdm is already installed.

Hi SrMadruga

Have you removed yourself from nopasswdlogin?

It's not in nopasswdlogin...

Just to make it clear, the entire login screen disappeared, and not only the field to type the password. When I turn on the PC, it goes directly to "dani"s Desktop screen, even with others accounts created.

Hi @SrMadruga,

have you done a full system update which may solve the problem?:

Please post the contents of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Maybe there is an autologin in there. This overrides all other settings in LightDM.

1 Like

There definitely is some configuration that is set to always auto login in to the desktop.

This post touches upon @wizd3m’s suggestion:

Here is the contents of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

Problem solved!

You were right wizd3m.
I edited lightdm.conf, deleting the two last lines, and now the “Login Screen” is back.

But I still dont have a clue how it was modified.

Thank you all.

1 Like

Nice :slight_smile:

Don’t forget to check the solution box.