Looking for advise on new machine build?

If I have a new machine with i5 (latest edition) or i7 and ddr4 ram with an asus motherboard , Navidia video card 2G will it take Ubuntu as a OS off of an OS disc Dvd? I get the feeling that I should not have Amd anything and should use bios. See any problems? No Windows on it at all. Dell with sell Ubuntu installed but at a high price and not that good in the way of online reviews.
Glen
Thank you so much for any time or help.

I’ve turned your message to a public topic, since this would be something better answered by the wider community.

I have a mix of brands in my machine – ASUS “Gaming” Motherboard that boots in UEFI mode (not BIOS/Legacy), AMD A10-7850K Processor, NVIDIA GTX 960. If you’re building the machine yourself, it’s best to check the components are Linux compatible, but I’d definitely stay away from AMD for graphics… for now anyway.

Is there a best way to find out what is compatible? At the forum? via dealers?

Never trust dealers. It’s useless. It is very difficult to discern when they are advising you from knowledge and experience, or instead to sell you their stock. And often they will go for the latter at your expense.

Trust the community of users. IRC channels like #linux on freenode.org are particularly suitable for these type of questions. These forums would too, but its easier if you are more specific about what you want.

Enthusiast shops are also a good option and an exception to the dealers advice above. Some small computer shops are ran by computer enthusiasts that will sell you custom-assembled computers. They are a great source for advice when you think buying from them. Almost all of them have an online presence with forums, where customers tend to gather around. Because these shops tend to create a bond of friendships with their customers, you usually end up with a lively community that can answer your questions quickly enough. If there is a shop like that in your vicinity or that ships to your location, you may want to try that option.

2 Likes

Can I ask you what system make-up you have that is successfully running Linux? Thanks for the advice.
Glen

Better than asking individuals here’s a link on the forum with all the folks who’ve posted their system’s specs
Shared Specs

3 Likes

That is wonderful! I have bookmarked it and had to come back and thank you.
Glen

1 Like