Mate in Unity Environment

System: Ubuntu 16.04.

We are dual-booting Mate and Unity. Recently we installed Mate DE in the Unity partition and boot into Mate. However, the Mate-in-Unity desktop looks slightly different from pure Mate. Does anyone know why this is so?

Do you mean “pure Mate” or “pure Ubuntu Mate”? They are slightly different. That is to say, the UM desktop carries quite a few extra bits compared to the vanilla Mate desktop. That being the case, did you install the Mate desktop or the Ubuntu Mate desktop?

Thanks. Just checked (with Synaptic). I installed mate-desktop not ubuntu-mate-desktop.

Will it be safe to just purge mate and install ubuntu-mate?

Hi @ping-wu,

you could simply add the following package via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extras

Or, you can use the “Something Else Method” and keep your files intact (if you do it right!):

You can just install ubuntu-mate-desktop which will install all the extras bundled with Ubuntu MATE.

However, a word of caution, you’ll end up with two sets of desktop applications in both MATE and Unity - such as gedit and Pluma for a text editor, Caja and Files for the file manager, etc.

I’m slightly confused by your set up, as it sounds like you’ve got one Ubuntu partition with two desktop environments installed, which isn’t the same as dual booting.

You may also get other doubles that can be even more annoying. For example, I recently was trying Xfce and after installing it the Xfce power manager still took over in MATE, so while the volume controls were the standard MATE ones, the screen and keyboard backlight controls were the Xfce ones.

1 Like