Mate won't do anything from DVD and USB is Ignored

I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed with today’s pack of updates.
I burned the DVD with the Mate 16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
There doesn’t seem to be a way to tell the BIOS to boot from the DVD. I hear the DVD cdrank and groan at restart/boot, but after a long time, Ubuntu regular appears.

Tried the Mounted version, nothing.
While Ubuntu sees my USB drive, and contents, U refuses to do anything to it. Keep in mind I don’t have a Geekineze translator so all of the language used in the “How to install Mate from a USB”, which is really ‘How to burn a USB’ using an alien language throws the learning curve a spit-ball.

I’d appreciate help with answers to the following:

1. Is Mate supposed boot the system and run off the USB/DVD or dos it install over/with/under or around Ubuntu - if not, does one really have to lean the Linux Geekineze to install it, it or is there a Basic basic easy to follow process? I couldn’t find one. (3 days now trying to install Mate)

Sidebar SUGGESTION:
I would assume the goal is to get as many people using Ubuntu as possible. If so, wouldn’t it be better for Ubuntu, and the computing world at large, if it were really easy to install, like any Windoze files, or at least, use newbie-talk?

I know how to drive a car and can change a tire but have no idea how or why or how to bore out a cylinder and adjusting the lifters. :wink:

Also, a cross-reference booklet that interprets some of the technical acronyms, phrases, and terminology would help prevent people from looking at this and thinking ‘screw this - I need an safe reliable O/S - not a steep language learning curve’.

Hey - thanks for your help.
I

UPDATE to THIS - thing:
Managed to get the DVD to boot but installer stopped and ran in to an error, not defined, and I let it send a report as it said it might.
Another error reported there was an install error (duh!), and would start the desktop. It didn’t “start” again.

Now, there is NO Ubuntu, no desktop, just a black screen with a blinking cursor. Not is is definitely, the most safest, most private comp I’ve ever had :slight_smile:

Thanks for anyone that popped in to help, but I think after 3 days of booting, re-loading, updating, upgrading and cussing, I’ll have to give up my privacy, rights to anonymity, and let that OTHER O/S, the King of Stalkers abuse my comp.

Funny.
I am not part of the techies either and have a language frontier to English also.
But when I installed the 1st time an Ubuntu ISO, it went like a charm and almost eyes closed. In fact I was amazed of myself…
Could it be that the problem was 18 inches in front of the computer ? (just saying…)
Anyway you don’t give any details that could help provide help. Just rumbling frustration… don’t think this support site was intended for.

Thanks for stepping and criticizing my inability to provide all the technical support tech support needs to support a technical problem that then system refuses to report.

An “unknown” error is not anything I could easily explain. I’m not apologizing.

That said, I called a friend who could interpret and I was able to get the DVD to boot, and it ran, and installed Mate, and it all looked so good, then it said I had to “Restart” and did, and … I now I have “No Operating System Installed”

and, it isn’t “funny”.

Hi @Internaut,

I can understand that.
I would also say that there is understanding, that without some basic information the answers may not be the most specific because the situation is generic.

See if this can help you:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

So hey did you ever solve this?
From what you described I'm guessing one possible explanation could be multiple internal drives in the system and the installer putting the bootloader on the wrong drive.

@ouroumov

You said "So hey did you ever solve this?"

I assume you are asking me. Yes. Got it sorted. I reinstalled Windows 10 and gave the 1-drive laptop to a single-parent dad who desperately needed a ltop and he didn't care giving up his soul for 10 :slight_smile:

I bought a new ltop and installed Ubu and it was great.
But after about a week of being used 2 - 3 times just browsing the 'net, on restart, it suggested I had forgotten my password.

I tried some of the reset password tricks I found here, but they didn't work. That ltop has been sitting under the couch for about 6 - 8 months maybe. I'll have to try re-installing it again one day.

Thanks for asking - I almost forgot all about it!

.i.

1 Like

Thanks for the update
Are you using encryption when you're installing Ubuntu? (LVM partitions + installation-time encryption)

Hello Internaut

When something is supposed to work but doesn't - that's frustrating. Especially when it seems to work for most people - just not for you. :disappointed_relieved:

This forum is one of the most welcoming non-judgemental Linux forums I know of - a lot of its members will give gladly of their time to help you - so don't give up unless you choose to. That would be fine too, it's always your choice.

If you are unfamiliar with technical terms use the terms /language that you usually use to describe such things. No one came onto the earth with a UNIX manual in their brain; everyone had to learn what they know. :thinking:

Your privacy is important to you, from what you have written. Privacy should be important to everyone. The thing is this - in order for people on the forum to be able to help they need information from you, as much as you can / are prepared to give. If you're uncomfortable with that, there is another way. You could try to contact a "LUG" ("LUG" = Linux User Group) in your area. Do an internet search with "LUG" + "where you live". Most LUGs have websites where you can get a first impression of the group, before you decide if you want to go along to a meeting.

My first attempt to use Linux was only a partial success, and I gave up. I returned 10 years later and have been "exclusively" GNU/Linux for over five years.

Have a nice day. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@alpinejohn

Well stated John. I may seem to blather in this reply, but there is a madness to my method :slight_smile:

I'm sorry if I led you to the wrong conclusion. I cut my teeth on the Internet when all it was black text on a light grey screen pushed through 8-bit systems, and email was Pine Mail using X, Y or Z protocols at blazing fast 100 BAUD.

The old, "Surfing the Internet Highway" now has hundreds of eyes watching and reporting as we go 'Googling the Trashnet Catalogue'.

Ubuntu is a great escape in the sense it give users the opportunity to operate their rig without MS restrictions and controls... and the price is exceptionally lower than Windows. (Yes, Win 10 was free, but because Microsoft puts no value on our privacy - a big insult to our rights).

For the hobbyists, Ubi gives them the room and freedom to explore, experiment, and turn the Ubuntu evolution into a revolutionary freedom of choice.

WE can take back control of our devices - but at a huge learning curve.

Your suggestion to find local groups that support Linux/Ubuntu and such is a good idea, Like I've said, I know how to change a tire but to bore out cylinders - I just want to drive.

When Ubuntu/Mate said I forgot my password, and I didn't forget it, Ubi was just shirking the responsibility, and when I tried reading, and lots of it to sort it out, the entire language was not something I had the time to figure, or joining a club, or reading walls of technical stuff that required reading another wall of technical stuff just to figure out what was meant on the first wall!

I get it. There is nothing wrong with all the new terms and lingo for Ubuntu because Ubuntu is unique and needs the different language. I just don't have time for it any more as much as I would like to.

If the head kahunas at Ubuntu are satisfied that Ubuntu is easy to set up, manage, and maintain - so be it. I may be part of a very small market that prefer plug & play verses figuring out what a RPI is and why it won't work with ARM (do I have one of those?), or what "distro" meant. I can imagine it is a slang on DISTibution" to "distrObution"? Just a example.

The controllers of the power behind Windows is Microsoft. The controllers of the power behind Ubuntu is the device owner - given they have the time.

I would LOVE to soak up all I can about Ubuntu/Linux et el, but time is my master and shares little of it with me.

Just say'n s'all

~i~