Mixxx sound issue and upgrading kernel (Solved)

Hello
I use Ubuntu mate on my main workstation (HP650) and i have two issues.
I play music on radio and when i alt tab from mixxx to browser (firefox, chrome and opera have the same issue) or libre office i get a sound on the air like a switch. As i need to alt tab alot it gets really annoying.
Second issue is one of ignorance, i dont know how to upgrade to kernel 3.16, i’ve found some articles but they are a bit confusing and i cant find this kernel in grub menu to select it.In software center are a lot of packages and i dont know which to select.
Any help appreciated, thank you.

Hi,

go to Control Center > Hardware > Sound and take out the tick in "Enable window and button sounds", or you can mute it!:

As far as the kernel goes, if you have your software sources set correctly, you won't have to worry about kernel installation as it will do it automatically on regular updates, don't mess with single kernel packages if you don't know what you are doing or you may well bork your system!.

See the update guide for more info about software settings:

What version of Ubuntu Mate are you using?.

I use the 14.04 version, thank you for the tips, ill try it.

Hi,

from what I have can tell in my version of Zorin 9 (Ubuntu 14.04.0); there won’t be an update for kernel 3.16 series, the highest I have right now is 3.13.

Do you really have such modern hardware that you need the 3.16 kernel?.

You can add the Linux kernel PPA but if I were you, I would stick with what you have.

As of Ubuntu 14.04.02 (I think), 3.16 is included by default, I don’t know whether the Ubuntu Mate devs have plans to do another update of Ubuntu Mate, the last available version is 14.04.1:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/trusty/

Maybe one of the mods can shed some light on that matter for you!. :smiley:

I am using UM 15.04 Beta 1 and it runs fine if you feel like updating because you want/need the 3.16 kernel!.

You can keep all your data intact if you follow this advice:

REMEMBER THAT UBUNTU MATE 15.04 IS STILL IN BETA!!!.

(I don’t have any problems with it myself and I have it running on 2 PC’s but I just want to make you aware that it is Beta!.)

My bluetooth is not working and as i understand there are sound improvements on the 3.16 series. I have a huge music library, constasntly updating so i would like to avoid installing again, i work 7/7 so time is an issue, anyway the sound issue is not solved i, ve read that i have to use jack for these issues so i am moving to that direction. Thank you for the help.

Hi,

see here BUT USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, IF YOU DESTROY YOUR SYSTEM, IT WON'T BE MY PROBLEM, UNDERSTOOD?.

But , if you want to go really deep : http://www.edivaldobrito.com.br/atualizar-ubuntu-kernel-3-19-1/