Mouse cursor doesnt move smoothly, and shakes when held still

I recently installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 on my secondary laptop, and I have had various problems when using the trackpad on the laptop. When moving the mouse, it doesn’t feel “smooth” per say, and another way for me to describe it is that it feels like it is not refreshing, or has a low fps. I have tried various methods to fix it, including messing with settings using synclient, and using the mouse options that comes with Ubuntu MATE. Using a USB mouse makes the cursor feel like it should. If anyone has any way to help me, or has had this problem before and fixed it, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Hi Bailey

Please post your laptop specs. Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+t) and enter:
inxi -b

Hello v3xx, here is the output when I enter inxi -b
System: Host: bailey-LaptopLinux Kernel: 4.4.0-22-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial Machine: System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L755 v: PSK1WU-0M904Y Mobo: Intel model: N/A Bios: INSYDE v: 2.30 date: 08/02/2011 CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2430M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3000 MHz Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: [email protected] GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.0% used) Info: Processes: 218 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 461.4/3898.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

Hi @BaileySchena
Did you do a full system update since install and did you go through the ‘Drivers & Firmware’ steps of the ‘Getting Started’ section of the Welcome Splash screen?

Cheers

@ouroumov I didn’t, so I just ran through the update and drivers page again. After that.i restarted the computer, but nothing seems to have changed.

Hi @BaileySchena,

try the following terminal commands:

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

Hello @wolfman,
I entered both commands into the console and both times the package kde-l10n-engb was installed. I still don’t notice a fix for the mouse.

How did you install?, disk or USB and did you follow this advice?:

If a standard USB mouse is working more or less fine; then I think it may just be your hardware and Linux doesn’t like it, try booting the live CD and see if it works okay, if it does, then there is something wrong with your installation media!.

@wolfman I installed using a USB, and I already have tried the live CD version and nothing changed, the mouse behaved the same.

So I believe I have found something I can do to fix the problem, but I am not sure how to do it. I think that my touchpad has a slower polling rate then my USB mouse, so is their a way for me to change the polling rate of the touchpad? I know that it is a synaptic device and uses synaptic drivers.

There is an app called “mousetweaks”!, install it via the terminal with the following command but I don’t know how or if it works?:

sudo apt-get install mousetweaks

There is a wiki on mousetweaks if that any help.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/MouseTweaks

I have not played with polling rate so I do not know what works, but others have.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=polling+rate+of+the+touchpad&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en

1 Like

Thanks @anon42388993 and @wolfman, but when I installed mousetweaks, I am incapable of opening and it throws an error in console that says:

(mousetweaks:3867): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-main.css:69:33: Failed to import: Error opening file: No such file or directory

Does mousetweaks only work in Gnome 3?

Sorry @BaileySchena but I honestly have no idea!. :frowning:

Just installed mousetweaks on 16.04, no issues.

It would seem you have other problems and like wolfman, not sure where to go with this. I would have to research other options.

I had the same problem with gaming mouse until I pressed “speed button (4/4 levels > set to 1/4)” on the physical mouse itself. But maybe this was not the problem. with your mouse?