Need some help getting hybrid graphics working

Oops… too late. Seems I’ve misunderstood the whole secure boot thing. Was taken to a blue screen. What I didn’t realize is that I had to make a choice within a menu there to fill in the password. But it doesn’t seem to want to boot at all in insecure mode. It’s hung on the grub menu for over 5 minutes. Is that normal, or is it okay to abort?

Ah, my system doesn’t use Secure Boot. Previously read it’s best to disable Secure Boot prior to GNU/Linux installation.

I would reset, change Secure Boot back to active.

Yep. Think I’ll do everything from scratch. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for hanging in there.

Once driver is up and running, last thing we’ll do is install modprobe. This helps prevent issues with some programs and NVIDIA detection. For example, easier Blender GPGPU (CUDA) Cycles rendering.

Here’s the Ubuntu modprobe deb file link (can also be installed via Synaptic Package Manager (if installed))
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/nvidia-modprobe

If downloading from the above link, you’ll notice the modprobe deb file version is older than the NVIDIA driver version (nvidia-modprobe_361.28-1 vs nvidia-367.57), this is okay and will still function as expected.

Seems like everything is working brilliantly now!!! Tried re-installing 16.10 (because that’s what I already had on my USB stick) and installed nvidia-367. The Optimus applet crashes, but it seems okay anyway. And I did receive this while installing the driver, don’t know if it’s of any consequence:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_ver9_14.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_ver8_7.bin for module i915

Now that I know for sure everything works, I feel safely remove the Windows install as the laptop came without any discs of any kind.

I’ll try that modprobe thing too.

I should buy you a beer! :smile:

EDIT: I should add that I think the Secure boot mode was giving all the head aches. I didn’t know I could switch it off in the BIOS (or whatever it’s called now)… I turned it off and it seems to have made things a whole lot easier. Marking as solved.

The warning about i915 is of no consequence since it’s the intel integrated graphics driver and you’re not using it. :]

Good to know. Thank you. :smile:

Great! :slight_smile:

To help put your mind at ease, the Optimus applet crash is a known bug mentioned in the 16.10 release notes, @Wimpy has committed a fix.

For modprobe, since you are now using 16.10, you’ll need the Yakkety link…
http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/nvidia-modprobe

[quote=“ouroumov, post:26, topic:9545, full:true”]
…since it’s the intel integrated graphics driver and you’re not using it. :]
[/quote]Well yes and no. :slight_smile: With an Optimus system, while NVIDIA GPU is active, handling computations and generating the off-screen render, the Intel GPU is responsible for shifting the off-screen output to a display device.

That’s good to know, thanks for the clear-up.