Not seeing Windows network?

It finally updated, did go for a cuppa, mind you it is telling me that is almost end of life, I shall have to research in place upgrade to newer version, if it works out

Is there a way to log in to Win From Mate without using a password, as you can do in reverse? Or are you forced to have to password Win
What do you prefer about UB Mate over Mint mate, is there a deal breaker or fairly comparable?
And do you have an opinion on Ardour?

So many questions, where in UK are you? I am an expat, from Medway towns originally, now in Colorado US

There is a way to autolog into Ms Windows. See here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee872306.aspx

In terms of Ubuntu Mate versus Mint Mate. It used to be the case that Ubuntu in general was more stable, in my experience. this is far less the case now and I can;t see much to choose between them. I actually like the look of Mint Mate slightly more than Ubuntu Mate. But, what always swings it for me toward Ubuntu Mater is the peripheral tools like Mate Tweak and the Software Boutique. the only thing where Mint beats Ubuntu currently is the fantastic tool called “Mintstick”. But, this can be downloaded from the Mint site and installed in Ubuntu Mate. Which is what I always do.

Ardour is not a program I have much experience of and so can’t really offer any good advice. In terms of Audio/Visual stuff. I mostly use:

Meshlab
Blender
Patchage
Qjackctl
Rosegarden
LMMS
Musescore
Qsynth
VMPK
Yoshimi
Calf Plugin for Jack
Gimp
Kompozer

I am from the North East of the UK, near Teesside. God’s own country…:slight_smile:

I should also say, I am currently trying to set up a test dual-boot for Ubuntu Mate and PC-BSD in a VM. It’s proving to be a bit of a bugger. Linux’s grub simply cant see the BSD installation. Nor is is possible to adjust anything vis-a-vis the BSD partition with Gparted inside Ubuntu or on a live Linux ISO. So, I am groping my way toward a solution which will probably entail the following being done in order:

Install Ubuntu Mate
Install PC-BSD on the empty space.

When the above has been done, PC-BSD’s boot-loader will take over from grub, at which point Ubuntu will not be accessible.

What I then have to figure out is how to include Ubuntu in PC-BSD’s bootloader.

When I have achieved that, I will do it on my bare metal rig

Compared to the Medway towns it sure is…mind you Kent as a whole is a beautiful place. Played in Middlesbrough somewhere with Wreckless Eric back in the day I’m pretty sure

7 posts were split to a new topic: How-to for dual-booting PCBSD and Ubuntu Mate

Ok Smartnoise. Some updates:

Commited, today, to install a dual boot system of UM and PCBSD to bare metal. Installed a fresh copy of UM 16.04 first. However, after installing it, just happened to try out the network.

Guess what?

Samba is working!

I’m not joking. The gvfs-smb-browse bug is not happening and Samba is unproblematically accessing all network places including my Windows 7 partition on my notepad.

I donl;t know if this is going to last and so I am holding my breath for the next few days. But, as I write this, several hours in, Samba is still operating unproblematically.

I don’t know why this has happened., but I can hazard a guess, for what it’s worth:

The problem has been fixed somewhere up the line. However, this fix runs sufficiently deep inside the system that it cannot be passed down the line as updates to existing 16.04 installations. Therefore, it only appears in new installations where it can be passed down the line as an update during the installation.

The above is pure conjecture, of course.

Well, if it stays working it may almost be worth a fresh install

Yep, did a clean install of Mint Mate 18 and it is now seeing network shares, as is Ubuntu mate 16.04.1, mind you, still asking for Win password when none present, guess to proceed I shall be forced to add one, pain!

Mind you, Mint is seeming a bit spotty, after reboot it is not displaying Network, and now neither is Mate…Jeez, what a royal pain, sharing works in Windows, guess I’m just gonna stay on Win 'till they can get something so common place to work in Linux. I mean WTF, you can’t even share Linux computers, ridiculous, no sharing, no go, done, no more time to invest.
Thanks for all the advice but I’m a bit sick of being frustrated by this daily, this will not attract new users!
My UB Mate install is not a fresh install, wonder if that is my last ditch attempt, obviously that did not work in Mint 18

Hi Smartnoise. It is now 7:30am in the morning after my fresh install of UM. Samba is still up and running well, including seeing my MS Windows machine. So, hopefully it is going to stay that way. See below:

Nonetheless, I am going to leave the PCBSD partition in place just in case. One thing is for sure, I will never go back to MS Windows as my daily driver. I only have a MS Windows partition on my laptop for testing purposes for when my kids visit with their Windows devices. Otherwise I use UM for regular use of the laptop.

However, whatever you decide to do, good luck.

I shall get over the frustration by the weekend, it would seem we are using the same version, although i am on the 1.14 DE, maybe i should reinstall, start over?
How do you set up the Samba link to your Win PC? I end up with temporary links on my desktop each time i connect, I do not see that on your desktop, not sure I’m setting it up quite correctly.
On a positive, when i fired up PC this a.m. it is still seeing network…
Been seeing posts about SSH? Is that an alternate option

SSH is great. But, it can only be used to connect one Linux machine to another. It cannot be used for a Linux to MS Windows connection. Or, at least, that is my understanding.

To be precise, the version of UM 16.04 I have used where Samba appears to be fixed is the latest 64 bit download from the UM website. So, if in doubt, download a new copy.

I shall download this afternoon, can I get pointers from you, if you have the time, on how you set up your Samba with windows, not sure how you manage to not get shortcuts plonked on the desktop etc.

Once you have installed the Um desktop, do the following (I should say, this is what I do based on my needs. They may vary from yours. But, they work for me):

IMPORTANT:

DO NOT INSTALL CAJA-SHARE FORM THE BOUTIQUE. THIS WILL BREAK/DELETE SYSTEM-CONFIG-SAMBA AND CAJA-SHARE IS NOT WORKING ANYWAY.

Don't worry if you did that before reading this. If so, go back to the boutique and remove Caja Share. Then follow the instructions as given below

Install system-config-samba with the following command:

sudo apt-get install system-config-samba

There is a bug with the above program that must be fixed with the following command in a terminal in order for it to be able to open and edit:

sudo touch /etc/libuser.conf

Then open system-config-samba. You will find it in the system/administration menu. In there, it is just called Samba

Click on the Plus sign at the top left

Use the browse button to navigate to a folder you wish to share. It will give it a Share Name based on the folder name. But, you can name it anything you want. Check "writable" and "visible" depending on what access you want to give.

Go the to the "access" tab.

Check "allow access to everyone"

Then click OK and close system-config-samba

There is another long-standing issue in samba that means it still doesn't sometimes play nice. I have always fixed it with the following:

Open Caja and navigate to /etc/samba

Right-click smb.conf and choose to open as administrator

Go to the bottom of the conf file and you should see the new entry for the folder you chose to share on the network. Go to the bottom of that entry and enter the following information:

force user = stephen

So, the entry would now look something like this:

[Videos-1]
	path = /media/stephen/Store1/Videos-1
	writeable = yes
;	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	force user = stephen

Obviously, you would change "stephen" to your own username. You shouldn't need to do this since you gave full public access. But, it seems this is bit flaky and so by adding this extra line it forces Samba to accept the access for anybody on the basis that it now "thinks", presumably, it is you trying to access the share. I am guessing here though. This trick is just something someone told me on a forum and it works.

Save and close smb.conf

You now need to restart Samba for the changes to take effect. Open a terminal and enter the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/smbd restart

As for accessing your MS Windows shared folders from inside UM, just set them up as shared in your MS Windows machine. They should then be visible in your network folder on your UM machine and you will be able to access them from there.

That's it. All of the above being done, you should now have full, two-way access between all of your Linux and MS Windows machines on all of your shared folders on the network.

Thanks so much Steve, I shall be home tomorrow, and I’ll give it all a shot then

I have just realised why you are getting temporary network share locations on your desktop. You need to go to Mate Tweak and disable network icons on your desktop. See below:

Mate Tweak is under system/preferences/look and feel

Personally, I usually disable all icons from the desktop with the possible exception of the trash can. The reason being that all of these places are immediately accessible from the "places" menu and I can put an icon for the trash can, should I need to have a look in it, on the right hand end of my bottom panel

Did all that exactly, sad to say, no network…

After multiple reboots, it’s back, that said, i can see the computers on the network but it times out before it ever connects, that’s Win/Linux, I shall try the connect to server approach, and add a password to Win

Well, as I had done before, I copied that .smb folder, from my one good working UB Mate, all the same kernel/DE everything otherwise, dropped it onto the fresh install that won’t connect, both have Samba installed via terminal, Caja from the boutique, reboot…and bingo, up it comes.
I have no idea why this works, the .smb goes in my home folder “rob”, shows up in hidden files, see whole network, quick too, now back to working on password weirdness