Overlaying Ubuntu 16.04 with Ubuntu MATE

Hello Ubuntu MATE Community,

So… I JUST installed Ubuntu 16.04 about a month ago… Dual-boot on my Windows 7 ThinkPad T410 laptop. I would like to completely REPLACE it with Ubuntu MATE 16.04! I’ve been VERY impressed with what I’ve read and seen so far about MATE! :slight_smile:

What’s the easiest way to do this?

I have already downloaded the ISO and burned a DVD. I have also created a tar ball of my \home folder structure where I mainly have just my Python learning projects so far.

Should I use GParted to wipe the current partitions used by Ubuntu BEFORE I boot from the DVD and install Ubuntu MATE?

Any pointers or direction to help make this a “smooth” install/replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John

My strong advice would be to erase Ubuntu and install Ubuntu Mate from scratch

I assume you want to keep windows 7 … if so, identify the 2 partitions where ubuntu was installed (one is /, other is swap), start the UM install from DVD|usb and select ‘something else’ (instead of installing alongside, etc), point to the installer where / is and where swap is and install UM.

See also:

@stevecook172001 @pavlos_kairis @wolfman Thanks for the advice… will give it a go and let you know how it went! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Things worked great! Followed the ‘Install Ubuntu (Mate) using “Something else” method’ and all is swell! Thanks!

EDIT: Looking forward to a LONG, Productive relationship with my new Ubuntu MATE install! Hope to leave Windows BEHIND!

5 Likes

You cannot leave Windows entirely behind if you need it for anything DirectX. However, if you installed Ubuntu MATE on the same device as your Windows install, you can get away with 48GB for the system partition, or for an extended partition with 32GB for the system and 16GB for home, then have your Windows partition mount on startup, after making links from where Windows would recognize as your library folders (in %userprofile%) to your home folder (~) so the contents are synchronized between sessions.

This would make it so content you save in any linked folders on your Linux session populate the NTFS session Windows is on, since while Windows cannot read from Ext* (without external software, even then you can’t write to Ext4), Linux (with the appropriate libraries, installed by default for Ubuntu*) can read from NTFS just fine.