Panel freezes after adding a launcher

When adding any launcher to top panel, the panel freezes. Only the mouse will work.
I tried with all compositors. They all react the same.

Then pulling up a terminal and resetting the panel works, but the launchers are gone. If I ‘replace’ the panel, that works but the terminal is then tied to the panel.

Update: If I just add launcher to the desktop then the panel again freezes. Also resetting the panel sometimes causes a crash. I added a bug report #1604490 for that one.

UPDATE2: If I just move the launcher using my mouse to either the panel or Desktop, than the panel does not freeze. Only right-click move to panel or desktop does it freeze.

Hi @verndog,

have you run a full system update and what version of Ubuntu Mate are you running?:

I would also try removing mate-tweak

1 Like

Yes. Each and every time. This happens from the beginning of Yakkety. I’ve zsync’ed several times and re-installed the new ISO, then apt-get update.

Wimpy stated a week ago that the mate-tweak was fixed. Is it not?

Its fixed for me, is it fixed for you?

Im having the same problem running

• 16.10 64-bit dual boot windows 10
  • I5 4590

My mate tweak did crash once before when the top froze, also I dont think mate tweak is all that.

UPDATE2: If I just move the launcher using my mouse to either the panel or Desktop, than the panel does not freeze. Only right-click move to panel or desktop does it freeze.

I’ll try that, also what is the command to reset the top panel?

Edit: Nope dragging it to the panel causes it to lock up for me but launching it from the desktop is fine.

Hi people,

has anyone tried removing Mate Tweak and then adding things to the panel to see if it still freezes?. :smiley:

yeah I did it still freezes and also if my pc go’s to sleep mode and I wake it up the top menu panel only is frozen

All I can suggest is to keep updating because if it is a bug, it should get a fix pushed through with the next group of updates!. :confused:

Are there any clues in /var/crash ?

I've run into the same problem when trying to create new panel to move to another monitor. I right-click to get into the dialog and all of my panels freeze eventually windows start to freeze as well if I keep right clicking and trying. journalctl -f shows no output while this is going on.