Possible culprit to compiz+chrome crashing desktop found

Hi gyus!

I was having the annoying issue of the desktop crashing/becoming unresponsive after minimizing chrome when using compiz as window manager.

So I started googling and found this video on youtube with a guy saying that he had found that if he disabled “workarounds” in the “compizconfig settings”, the desktop would not crash anymore, and sure enough I tested it and it did not crash anymore.

But when I disabled “workarounds”, the side effect was that Chrome was not able to remember that i had chosen not to “use system title bar and borders”. So everytime I minimize after chosing NOT to use system title bar… it would reappear.

So I dug a little bit deeper and found that within the “workarrounds”, it seemes like the top option “Keep previews of minimized windows” is the one that crashes the desktop when minimizing chrome.
So as long as I only disable this “subsetting” , chrome remembers that I dont want system title bars and borders and it does not crash the desktop any more

(Lets hope I did not jinx it now … haha )

Anyway, I hope this can help people make their system run like they want and possibly help guys trying to fix this for the next release, and if you guys already know about this, please disregard :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I posted about it back in January here:

The developers are aware of it :relaxed:

It would seem the written word has persevered :slight_smile:

Oh well … did not find that post … just glad it workded out and that the developers are aware of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seemes like chrome still sometimes “forgets” that I have chosen not to use system title bar and borders.

It happens specifically when I minimize a window of chrome, all of a sudden it is using the system title bar again… anyone have a clue how to fix this ?

im still using compiz with “keep previews of minimized windows” disabled.