Programs to add to the Software Boutique

Since there wasn't a thread on what programs could be added to the Software Boutique, I decided to make one. :slight_smile:

:clear: This thread has gotten a bit too long...
Please see the individual threads for each application on your wishlists.
-- @lah7

Accessories

CLI Companion

For the people who are uncomfortable around the terminal, CLI Companion offers a GUI with some common commands to chose from, and a description on what it does

Launchpad

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:clicompanion-devs/clicompanion-nightlies
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install clicompanion

Seems there is still no update of CLI Companion on the PPA for version 16.06 for now

Education

Zotero

Zotero is a free and open-source reference management software to manage bibliographic data and related research materials (such as PDF files). As an easy-to-use tool it helps to collect, organize, cite and share research sources. Notable features include web browser integration, online syncing, generation of in-text citations, as well as footnotes and bibliographies. Zotero can automatically format bibliographies and citations in a wide variety of citation styles. Its additional plugins integrate well with LibreOffice and its browser extensions are fully compatible with both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
Alternative to: Thomson Reuters EndNote and Elsevier Mendeley

Website (Zotero)
Launchpad (Cogsci.nl PPA)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:smathot/cogscinl
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install zotero-standalone

Games

Retroarch

Retroarch is an open source, multi-platform frontend for the libretro API. It is designed to be a fast, lightweight, and portable multi-system emulator. Offers save/load states, rewind/fast forward on games, shaders and console borders, achievements from the retroachievements.org database, and in some emulators netplay to play with your friends over the internet.

Website
Launchpad for stable version

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install retroarch libretro*

Launchpad for nightly build version

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/testing

Graphics

Krita

Krita is a free and open source painting tool designed for concept artists, illustrators, matte and texture artists, and the VFX industry.

• Alternative to: SAI

Website
Launchpad stable version

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dimula73/krita
sudo sudo apt-get install krita-2.9 krita-2.9-dbg

Testing/Nightly builds

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dimula73/krita
sudo apt-get install krita-testing krita-testing-dbg 

Digikam

Digikam is an advanced cross-platform digital photo management application where you can import pictures, edit them, view, share and create slideshow, prints etc.

Alternative to: Adobe Lightroom

Website
Package

sudo apt-get digikam

Internet

qBittorrent

qBittorrent is an open source cross-platform torrent client with an interface similar to utorrents old style

Website

Launchpad

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:qbittorrent-team/qbittorrent-stable
 sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install qbittorrent

Geary

Geary is a lightweight email client with a simple, modern interface.

Website
Launchpad

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geary-team/releases
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install geary

That's all for me for now. What do you recommend?

Y PPA Manager
Manage PPAs with a GUI

Y PPA Manager
Launchpad

##System
Systemback - https://launchpad.net/systemback

Systemback makes it easy to create backups of the system and the users configuration files. In case of problems you can easily restore the previous state of the system. There are extra features like system copying, system installation and Live system creation.

5 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Jitsi (encrypted IM/OTR and encrypted VoIP and video conferencing/ZRTP) for Software Boutique - best Skype alternative + installation guide:

Great idea to start a new thread. This looks very organized and I rather contribute here. The current Software Boutique (Version 16.10.0~xenial1.6) has the following categories: Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Programming, Sound & Video, System Tools, Universal Access, Servers, More Software, and Fixes. Could we get a new category Security & Privacy and move the sub-categories Encryption and Password Management from Accessories into it? The Accessories category is already very cluttered and is very likely to expand. My suggestions for such a new category and the Internet category are:

Security & Privacy

• Vera Crypt (move from Accessories > Encryption to Security & Privacy > Encryption)

• Enpass (move from Accessories > Password Management to Security & Privacy > Password Management)

• ClamAV (Security & Privacy > Antivirus)

• OpenVPN (Security & Privacy > VPN)

• AirVPN (Security & Privacy > VPN)

• Cisco AnyConnect (Security & Privacy > VPN)

Internet

• Jitsi (> Instant Messaging)
3 Likes

Unless they can be installed through a repository or PPA they can’t go into the Software Boutique. See comment by @Wimpy in this thread:

I do like the look of the CLI Companion though and will probably install it myself.

1 Like

Oops, I knew I was forgetting something. Just added them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What the Boutique needs, and it needs it badly, is a search function.
That said, SMPlayer is missing under Sound & Video.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Software to extract EXIF information and erase metadata?

A post was split to a new topic: CLI Companion, installing from PPA

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Search option for software boutique 1604 and up

First post is now a Wiki. Please feel free to edit and add more applications in @Cold’s format.

Makes it easier for @Wimpy too!

2 Likes

Thanks for sorting this @lah7 and thanks to everyone for contributing your suggestions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Search option for software boutique 1604 and up

A post was split to a new topic: Alternate to Odin for Software Boutique?

I’ve added Systemback to the list. As an alternative to dejadup.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: ClamAV/Antiviral for Software Boutique?

I often use Deluge as a torrent client since it is GTK.

DeVeDe could be a nice addition its probably the only gui software I install that is not in the boutique.

I’ve added Zotero (zotero.org and launchpad) to the wiki. It is the best alternative to the proprietary referencing tools Thomson Reuters EndNote and Elsevier Mendeley.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: ClamAV/Antiviral for Software Boutique?

@Wimpy You should also take a glance at this guy other extensions:

Nautilus-lxSplit
Split or join files with Nautilus-lxSplit extension, incase you need to send a file on gmail, but is bigger than 25MB you can split it into parts, and then join them when you receive them.

Website

sudo add-apt-repository nautilus-extensions
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nautilus-lxsplit

Nautilus Document Converter

• Convert documents between 100 different formats on Nautilus context menu.
  • If necessary automatically starts LibreOffice to convert
  • It can be used as client / server
  • You can use templates to convert the document
  • Is multi platform

[Website](http://www.atareao.es/apps/convertir-pdf-en-ubuntu-con-nautilus-document-converter//)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/nautilus-extensions
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nautilus-document-converter

Nautilus-PrintIt
Lets you print one or multiple images without having to open Gimp or other image applications. Comments mention that he is working on adding pdf print.

Website

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nautilus-printit

nautilus- copypaste -images
nautilus- copypaste -images is a plugin for Nautilus that allows us to copy and paste images to the clipboard in Ubuntu from any image editor ( Gimp , Krita , Paint , etc ) and Nautilus. It creates new images from existing ones , you only select what you need from a particular image in any editor , and paste it in Nautilus , and in the same way , you can copy it in Nautilus , and paste it into the editor images , all simple , fast and effective.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g8iKN6hidRU/Vs9tDtjEH8I/AAAAAAAAyJs/bmEWrV3396s/s800/Guardar%2520la%2520imagen%2520del%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520%2520portapapeles%2520como%2520..._476.png

Website
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nautilus-copypaste-images

Crushing Machine
Crushing Machine you can delete files securely so that it cant be able to restore it. It's a GUI of the app secure rm (srm) .

Website

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install crushing-machine

replace-me
Replaces strings in multiple files

Website

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install replace-me
1 Like

Crushing Machine looks very good (the other suggestions are great too). What is your experience with it and do you think it is good enough for the Software Boutique? Or are you suggesting possible integration into Caja in form of a context menu entry Securely Delete? If something like this is technically feasible it would be amazing! @Cold

@maro

Crushing machine is a program that has nautilus integration with the context menu showing Securely Delete option. If you press that you will go to that program window and delete the stuff, or you can open the program by going into the other category. Haven’t tried it yet, just found it and wanted to show it to the mate team to check it, and help atareao in porting it.

BTW, where can I check what extensions for caja exist?

1 Like