RTC Device/SRST Failed Bugs on Live CD [Unsolvable]

Hello: Have reburned my disk twice and tried booting multiple times and cannot get past a RTC device (rtc0) followed by SRST Failed (errno=-16) error. Not sure what to do from here.

Image 15.10
MDD G4 (Dual 1.42GHz, Geforce 4Ti Graphics Card, 2GB Ram).

Thanks!

Did you burn the disks at the slowest possible speed?:

I burned it twice on different machine as slow as possible - with no luck (in OSX Tiger with Disco) and (in LinuxMint AMD64 with Brasero).

It seems more likely to me the iso has problems, but since there was no MD5, couldn’t check that.

Is there any alternate method recommended (netboot/USB)? Also, have read about LOTS of problems with PPC Linux and Nvidia graphics cards - does 15.10 have the updated kernel?

Thanks!

OK, so redownloaded ISO, in case that was the issue and tried a new Disc, USB and even cloaning to a hard-drive all with now success. The USB gets the furthest (no RTC/SRST bugs), but just hangs at a black screen and never goes any further. Is there any way of simply installing without having to go through the LIVE GUI?

16.04 alpha2 has the kernel fix for NVidia but there seems to be some problem
with 16.04 alpha2 and PowerMacs. 16.04 alpha2 seems to be working fine on my
iMac G4. YMMV

Is that available here? Also, if I can get 15.10 to install, can I update the kernel?

Thanks!

OK so is pretty much official from my standpoint the PPC image is completely broken. Downloaded a 3rd time and burned and read off a brand new Optical Drive and still got a SRST error. What is it with Linux ISOs??? I’ve run into this with Mint, Elementary, LXLE and Ubuntu (burned on several, fully-functional systems). It’s crazy how hard it is to burn these compared to ANY OTHER TYPE OF DISC.

Does something in Linux disable the normal error-correction of an optical drive?? I wonder how much of the Earth’s landfills have been filled with failed Linux burns - seriously it should be illegal to distribute the OS on disc!!

SRST errors are usually caused by
(1) faulty SATA cable and/or connections
(2) failing SATA drive
(3) failing SATA master
(4) failing power supply

Many times though all that is needed is to clean the dust out of the CDROM/DVD drive.

If the drive or system is several years old you might also be dealing with the dreaded
bad capacitor problem.

My non working iMac G5 looks like this:
http://www.instructables.com/file/F6WK6L2G3TDN8SZ/

I’ve not had problems burning DVDs or CDROMs, Linux or otherwise.

Is the DVD writer firmware up to date? Are the blank DVD-R discs kept in a cool, dry, dark place?
Do the MD5 sums match?

Well, sadly I don’t think explains the Linux Live Problem. I do professional archiving and use multiple machines (ARM/x86/AMD64/PPC) for the job. I routinely write massive amounts of data and copy/recopy to check (on archival disk-stock) and this just NEVER happens, except with Linux discs.

Also, with this particular case, the last attempt was burned and read from a BRAND NEW external burner (literally this was it’s first burn) and it has its own external power supply.

As stated originally, much of the time, it is an MD5 Checksum-checkable condition, but since there are no MD5s here I can’t see about that.

MD5 sums:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/15.10/release/MD5SUMS
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/16.04/alpha-2/MD5SUMS

OK so tried 16.04 and it gets further (no RTC/SRST) bugs but regardless of what method (no-splash…) I try keeps throwing an “X509 Certificate error” and dies at a black-screen with two thin, white lines near the top.

Am thinking I’ll check back in a couple of years - if still in the market for PPC Linux. This just isn’t ready, or at the least has not be tested at all with PowerMacs - MorphOS is in a similar state - assuming the only Macs ever made were iMacs and PowerBooks.

Thanks for the attempts.