Skype ?in ubuntu mate

can i install skype ???..help me

Yes you can.
Just open your Ubuntu Software Center and did a search for “Client for Skype VOIP”. You should find the package Client for Skype VOIP and instant messaging service.
If you have any problem there, just go to Synaptic (System>Administration>Synaptic) and enter “skype” in the search. If you are in Ubuntu Mate 14.04 LTS you should easily find the same package, that is 4.3.0.37-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
Hope you will get it :smile:

1 Like

That’s not in my software centre.

In any event, it doesn’t matter. The answer to the OP’s question is yes, you can install Skype. But you will need to go to the Skype site and download the latest deb.

The download page is here:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

Choose the Ubuntu 12.04 multiarch version. I can confirm it works on Ubuntu Mate.

To get Skype from the Software Centre, you have to enable Canonical Partners repository. You can find an instructions under the following link:

1 Like

Moved to a different section that is more appropriate.

1 Like

like stevecook172001 said above,head to skype.com and get the latest for Ubuntu 12.04 Multiarch and install it IF after you open skype the fonts look a bit ugly open a terminal and paste this to install the .386 libraries that you will need:
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-murrine:i386 gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386
I use skype all the time,skype is my international phone :slight_smile: skype is also in Web Beta right now but only works in Windows web.skype.com

See the Skype how-to here:

I’m not having any luck installing Skype on a Raspberry Pi running Ubuntu Mate 15.10.3. I have tried all of the methods that I could find but nothing works.

I tried downloading all of the available Linux installations from the Skype website but they all gave me an error when trying to install using “Gdebi”… such as "Error: Wrong Architecture ‘i386’.

When access the “Software and Updates” in “Other Software,” Canonical Partners are not listed as an option, however they are listed in the “Ubuntu Software” tab, which I had checked.

The Software Center knows nothing of Skype.

I have also tried installing from the command line using apt-get but that also knows nothing of Skype.

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to use Skype with my configuration? Would it work with an older version of Ubuntu-Mate? … and if so how could I get that?

Thanks, Edward

Hi Ed,

did you tick the little box for Canonical Partners and run a software reload?. :dancer:

See also:

In the “Software & Updates > Other Software” tab, Canonical partners is not listed as an option to tick. It is listed in the “Ubuntu Software” tab, and I have ticked that. Is there a way I can get it into the “Other Software” tab? I notice that there is an “Add” button. Thanks.

Skype is not available for ARM.

Ok, but what is ARM? Thanks.

… Ah, It is the name of the microprocessor! That is a bummer. I keep getting disappointed by the Raspberry Pi. The OS runs so smoothly though, why can’t it run things like Skype? 'Tis a pity.

You can run skype for linux on ARM based devices with the Exagear x86 Virtual Machine.

1 Like