Slow boot on my machine

Hello every one,
I am new to Ububtu Mate, today i just install it to give it a shot apart from this slow booting i am not having any problem on my machine. I have searched this topic on Google but didn't get much help so i thought to post my issue on this forum.

I am having a slow boot with Ubuntu Mate . I don't know how to fix this. My boot is taking almost 2 minutes to boot. I am attaching a video link of my boot so that you guys can help me to fix my issue.

System Specification:
I am using an old Compaq Machine
Memory: 2.0 GiB
Processor: Intel® Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz × 2
Ubuntu: Release 16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus) 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.13.0-38-generic i686
MATE 1.12.1

Thank you

Try, systemd-analyze blame It will show you how much time is spent on various services during boot.

From my 18.04b2

Startup finished in 5.063s (kernel) + 48.876s (userspace) = 53.939s
graphical.target reached after 48.865s in userspace

See my post in this thread for a graphical addition to systemd-analyze

Here’s my systemd-analyze blame output:

string1301:~$ systemd-analyze blame
22.304s networking.service
11.032s grub-common.service
10.647s ondemand.service
10.642s irqbalance.service
10.511s speech-dispatcher.service
10.338s lightdm.service
7.647s dev-sda5.device
5.497s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
5.435s keyboard-setup.service
4.413s systemd-udevd.service
1.970s accounts-daemon.service
1.394s NetworkManager.service
1.251s thermald.service
1.187s mysql.service
1.171s apache2.service
1.103s resolvconf.service
952ms snapd.service
873ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
872ms systemd-modules-load.service
857ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
849ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-0500f234\x2db248\x2d40a2\x2daf
830ms dev-mqueue.mount
786ms upower.service
785ms dev-hugepages.mount
744ms systemd-journald.service
732ms console-setup.service
524ms ufw.service
421ms systemd-rfkill.service
417ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
273ms avahi-daemon.service
241ms bluetooth.service
240ms systemd-sysctl.service
238ms setvtrgb.service
228ms gpu-manager.service
223ms dev-disk-by\x2duuid-be25d3fc\x2d78a4\x2d4004\x2db004\x2d1da9dda
201ms apparmor.service
181ms kmod-static-nodes.service
170ms alsa-restore.service
168ms systemd-user-sessions.service
164ms pppd-dns.service
164ms rtkit-daemon.service
156ms udisks2.service
139ms rsyslog.service
131ms systemd-logind.service
119ms ntp.service
115ms plymouth-start.service
111ms polkitd.service
102ms apport.service
90ms home.mount
76ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
69ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
61ms [email protected]
55ms systemd-remount-fs.service
43ms systemd-journal-flush.service
39ms hddtemp.service
27ms systemd-update-utmp.service
22ms snapd.socket
20ms plymouth-read-write.service
20ms wpa_supplicant.service
19ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
16ms rc-local.service
14ms sys-kernel-config.mount
13ms systemd-random-seed.service
11ms ureadahead-stop.service
10ms systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service
8ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
6ms plymouth-quit-wait.service
lines 45-67/67 (END)

Thank you for your reply

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8fSDYse04ZEllKAH2qLpD0nn4Ru0bZM/view?usp=sharing

If we could see the original .svg file, we could read it a heck of a lot easier. See mine from last September as an example.

Edit: Well, that didn’t work at all. The boot process .svg file I uploaded just displayed a black rectangle. There’s got to be a way…

On the link, I use the mouse wheel to magnify, wait few seconds the definition update, hold the click to move right/left/up/down, very readable.
You can also download the file on your destop it will be saved as .png, then just double click and use the mouse wheel to magnify if needed :smile:

What software are you using to read this file? Eye of mate seems to not magnify as you indicated. Curious to know this stuff Patrice. Thanks.

I use Eye of Mate like you (may be click inside the image before to use the mouse wheel to be sure it's in focus ? hope it will works for you too)

Thanks Patrice. I zoomed in on his linked image and was able to read it. Then I was able to download a much more sizeable file that was equally readable. No mouse wheel as I’m on a laptop. My mice are also without wheels being ball type.

1 Like

mdooley, You’re welcome :smiley:

Ya i have the same problem when i tried to upload the .svg file its showing a black file. Any way will upload the .svg file for your convenient.

Here you go - https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Iuh6AnLJgNQI1tJcn6inyxDWU58qB-1/view?usp=sharing

I have shared the image on my Google drive as the file size is large so i can not upload it here. And with the boot log or with the svg file i am not getting any thing any guide or help would be much appreciated.

And one more thing you can not view the .svg file properly on drive as all the lines got stack over each other. You guys can download it and save it on your system.

Hi @vsvinit0,

you can also try changing your software sources download location to somewhere else and updating again, I use the “Main Server” myself, if yours is set to your country, try changing it to “Main” per the update guide linked below. :smiley:

Thank you for your reply @wolfman. Will go through the article which you share. Does you provide any details step regarding the issue. I mean what is the main cause due to which I am facing this peculiar problem of slow boot.

Hi @vsvinit0,

it should be just a case of something missing during the install?, do the changes I mentioned and update, it may well fix the issue for you!. :smiley:

I have tried every possible ways from your guide but still i am stuck with the slow boot don’t know what is wrong with my system. :disappointed:

There may not be any help we can provide you with due to the age of your machine. Perhaps the cheapest (easiest) upgrade would be more memory as 2 GiB isn’t much to begin with. Looking at your systemd-analyze blame results doesn’t help much to find a booting bottleneck.

Good luck @vsvinit0. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Thank you for your reply @mdooley. I guess i have to buy a new system.

Hi @vsvinit0,

did you create a “swap” partition when you installed?, that may be part of the reason if you have low system specs?:

See the partitioning guide for more info about partitioning:

:smiley: