[SOLVED] No sound from any source

Hi,

I cannot get my fresh install of 16.0.4 (64 bit) to output sound from any source. A reinstall of alsa-base and pulseaudio with the following did not work.

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio

I’ve tried a couple of other options, including the removal of alsa-base.conf followed by a reboot and restore of the file.

It looks like ALSA simply does not support my sound card using the current configuration. Details from /proc/asound/oss/sndstat

Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA emulation code)
Kernel: Linux xxxAspire-5742 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
HDA Intel MID at 0xb4400000 irq 27

Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Is there an alternative to ALSA and PULSE? Or, is there a way to manually force ALSA and/or PULSE to recognise the sound card?

Hi @ottimo_massimo,

take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure

Hi @wolfman, thanks again for another reply. It’s really appreciated. I came across that link and tried step 1 with no luck. I was hoping to avoid the other fifteen steps, but it looks like I’ll have to plod through it! I’ll let you know how it goes.

1 Like

After further tinkering, the HDMI and headphone outputs work. I think the laptop’s speaker may just be busted. Alsa threw a crash log when oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms was installed with

sudo apt-get install oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms

I think I’ll park this for now!

Thanks again for your help with this.

1 Like