Will the Ubuntu release-upgrade command kill Ubuntu Mate

Hi all,

does anyone know (I assume the devs do) if running the command below would kill my install of UM in the future, or now that UM is an official flavour of Ubuntu, will it upgrade to the next version of Ubuntu Mate and not the next version of Ubuntu wiping my UM install?.

sudo do-release-upgrade

I ask because I would like to add this command to the Update Guide if it won’t kill Ubuntu Mate!. :smiley:

Wimpy, anyone?. :smiley:

Never tested it. Perhaps some one could test/document upgrading from 14.10 to 15.04. Use a VM for testing. This is bound to come up and I don’t have the time to test it :cry:

Thanks for the response, I will test it myself when UM 15.04 final is out on a test partition!. :smiley:

Is it technically possible to trick Ubuntu into thinking that 15.04b2, or a build in between 15.04b2 and 15.04 final, is 15.04 final? If it is, I would have a go at testing the 14.10 - 15.04 upgrade.

Good news peeps, I tried the command out on Ubuntu Mate 14.04 with a base install and full updates and it worked, I am typing from UM 14.10 now and it did a full upgrade to Mate no problem!. (Not a sign of Unity praise be!) :smiley:

I will mark this as solved if you have no objections Wimpy and include the command in the update guide!. :smiley:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WAS DONE USING 14.04 TO 14.10!.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Yesterday upgraded successfully from Ubuntu Mate 14.10 to Ubuntu Mate 15.04 on two computers - Thinkpad T530i and Thinkcenter M83. I did it with sudo do-release-upgrade -d
No any problems seen so far.

Please note that mentioned command will upgrade to Development Branch of Ubuntu Vivid (which is close to a stable release very soon).

Thank you!

2 Likes

@Daniel_Stoyanov Thanks for trail blazing! That is very useful feedback :sunglasses:

I did a bit of trail blazing too Wimpy!.

1 Like

@wolfman Thank you for helping answer so many questions in the community. It is much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Wimpy,

thanks for the thanks, not all my answers are the right ones but I do try my best!.

I assume that I now have your blessing to include the command in my update guide?. :smiley:

Maybe even a separate post in Tips and Tricks. This is being asked for quite a bit.

Okay, wilco Wimpy. :smiley: I can do both!. :smiley: