"System Monitor" Panel Applet

The system load indicators included for the panel does not seem to be able to monitor the hard disks (reports 0% use). Processor, network, memory & load average all seem to work fine.

What version of Ubuntu-MATE?

$ lsb_release -a

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

Hi @thumbdrive,

have you run a full system update to see if it fixes the problem?:

I did as you suggested (update via recovery mode & dpkg) and the monitor is still showing 0% for hard disk activity. Also, Gkrellm reports fine.

have you tested initiating an operation you know to be heavy in disk I/O?
That indicator is scaled like the others.
Try something like burning an USB key with a Ubuntu MATE iso or reading a slideshow from a pictures folder on an external HDD.
Cheers

Hi @thumbdrive,

try the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) and see if that helps:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get remove mate-system-monitor && sudo apt-get install mate-system-monitor

Restart after running the above command!. :smiley:

Thank you for your suggestions. I removed and reinstalled mate-system-monitor, restarted and then copied a large file between drives, still showing no activity. Gkrellm is reporting fine.

HI @thumbdrive,

try opening Synaptic (install if necessary) and firstly change your software sources download location, then search for mate-system-monitor and then right click it and mark for re-installation!. :smiley:

Terminal install command (Ctrl + Alt + t) as follows:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

See also:

How is this disk setup? Is it a raid? Is it encrypted? What is the device name?

Type the following at your terminal (replacing sda with the affected device name):

$ watch -n 3 grep -w 'sda' /proc/diskstats

Do you see the values changing every 3 seconds?
(use CTRL+C to exit)