Thanks and a few Thoughts

Huge huge thanks for keeping Ubuntu-Mate alive and thriving.

Between 10.04 and ubuntu-mate was a nomadic time for me - moving from unity -> #! -> xfce -> gnome -> even pantheon, a dabble of kde, but never quite settling. The mate desktop environment is still the most productive for me, but it wasn’t until ubuntu-mate gave it the love and polish that it has really blossomed.

Some thoughts on the future:

Not changing too much, but still providing us with options like HUD, global menus, other DE arrangements - I think that’s a great way to proceed. Thanks for your combination of creativeness and reserve.

Looking forward to HiDPI. My current laptop display was picked to avoid HiDPI issues. Will be great to have this working in the future when I next get round to replacing my display.

Maybe we need more integration with online and mobile services - spotify/netflix/whatsapp/allo/dropbox - I feel like the way we use our computers is changing rapidly. Chromecast support would be awesome too. I don’t know how far away this technology is - but it’d be great if we could sync with our phones and reply to text messages on ios and android in the way we used to for gwibber etc.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. To be honest, this distro is great and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

All best and thanks again.

EDIT: really excited for 17.10!

3 Likes

17.10’s out now! Grab 'em while they’re hot:

Do you mean like how Ubuntu did it with the Online Services feature? Or more like making it convienent to install web applications (for example, WhatsApp in Software Boutique) in a way that integrates with the system’s notifications?

1 Like