Themes show with large ? And lightened out color?

When using some themes they appear with a Large question mark and and lightened out, and when selected a yellow alert states it needs the Adwaita desktop manager. I am running Compiz right now. Can this Manager be downloaded or are the themes i installed causing the problem. Installed ARC,Ceti, Candra and Vertex.

Any help would be appreciated.

DE

Hi @DE541,

some themes work well and some don’t, you can try other themes and see how they look, there are many to choose from here:

Just follow the instructions!. :smiley:

I’ve seen this behaviour before, but states it’s missing the Adwaita icon or theme. Are you sure it reads “Adwaita desktop manager”, since there are zero search results? :confused:

Assuming that the theme is MATE-Compatible, the Adwaita theme (gnome-themes-standard) needs to be installed, part of the GNOME themes:

sudo apt install gnome-themes-standard

Sources:

http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=363

Here is a screenshot of thems and the error message. Sorry it took so long to get back to this.

Thanks DE

Hi @DE541,

have you checked in Synaptic ( sudo apt-get install synaptic) if all the necessary packages are installed?:

In which case, I’m sure you need gnome-themes-standard, the window borders as seen in GNOME 3. Does that solve the problem?

Checked synaptic and gnome-themes-standard is installed. Did a reinstall still no luck?
Also uninstalled the custom themes to set Mate themes to default, with no luck.
Could this be a bug? Adding themes should not break the default themes?
System is usable though.

Thanks

DE

Hi DE,

what about graphics card drivers?. :smiley:

I checked out my vidio driver and that seems fine. My destop is now back to default for the most part, and is usable. I just will be unable to use the Adwaita theme, mabe a fix will come later. Don’t think we should waste anymore time on this. Thanks to all of you.

DE

1 Like