Things to do after install without intenet

Hi,
I just installed mate 14.04. But during installation there was no internet. Now that I have internet, what steps I need to take to complete the installation?

Thanks,
Spandey

Hi there,

it’s not that you are missing essential stuff having had no internet during installation. That being said, your OS is ready to go. If you however want to prepare it for everything that is out there, you’d want to install further must-have apps and packages. A great post about what would be good how to install them can be found here:

Nice regards,
Suffice

Open a terminal and type the following:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

And then, for good measure, cos it wont do any harm:

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get update

Running the Software Updater (System → Administration) will grab all the updates that the installer was unable to obtain during installation – such as a newer kernel, plus bug fixes and patched up security holes for your pre-installed software.

A better approach would be:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

As this would also resolve dependencies and upgrade all parts of the system, such as the kernel, that apt-get upgrade otherwise would keep held back.

Some info comparing the two commands.

I agree. however, I am always reticent to recommend apt-get dist-upgrade to a newbie because of the risk, however small, of it killing any additional programme they may have installed on top of the standard installation

See also:

A Big thank you to eveybody. I have done a dist-upgrade.
Since Intenet was not there while installing, now how do I install multimedia codec etc…

The ubuntu-restricted-extras package will be what you want.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

(Or via Synaptic or the Software Centre)

Contains codecs (ie. MP3), Microsoft fonts, Flash, etc that the “Install this other software” option would have installed.