Timing problems when i turn off my computer

Hi everyone, I have a Dell-Inspiron and as I just wrote, when i turn off my computer it seems to be stuck, precisely it remains on the loading desktop for 3,4 min [or I just simply using the ā€œON/OFFā€ botton]. It happens some times not always. The only thing that I can include is that Iā€™ve installed Ubuntu before Ubuntu Mate and this ā€œproblemā€ didnā€™t happen. Now i donā€™t know if that is a real problem, but is better to ask and to figure out my doubt.

Thanks and byebye =)

Possibly one of your startup processes is not shutting down correctly. Open a virtual terminal and go there when you shutdown, activate ā€˜topā€™ and see if you can spot any errant process. Also check you logs for any hints of trouble.

1 Like

Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?. :smiley:

1 Like

Something else you could do is press ESC, and you may be able to see some useful messages. If you do, post them here!

ok Iā€™ll try everything you said. thank you!

this is what looks like:
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302688] [drm:intel_pipe_config_compare [i915]] ERROR mismatch in ips_enabled (expected 1, found 0)
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302699] ------------[ cut here ]------------
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302762] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1222 at /build/linux-HVWSXI/linux-4.2.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c:12340 check_crtc_state+0x2c5/0x440 i915
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302765] pipe state doesnā€™t match!

Iā€™m sorry I donā€™t know how to fix that.

Hopefully someone else will see this thread and have more ideas than myself!

1 Like

I would say you have a broken install?, assuming your are you using 15.10?, try running the following terminal commands (Ctrl + Alt + t) and restarting (If you are running 16.04 beta, you can use the repair options in ā€œWelcomeā€ too!):

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

1 Like

I also wonder if running a HDD check would show anything.

1 Like

I have Ubuntu 15.10, and after that Iā€™ve installed Ubuntu Mate (Mate desktop Enviroment 1.12.1. Iā€™ll try what you say.
Thank you all for the support =)!

Nothing to fix or nothing that is missing, both commands say the same thing:ā€œ0 updated, 0 installed, 0 not installed and 0 to removeā€. Iā€™ve only removed with the command: ā€œsudo apt-get autoremoveā€ some useless file yesterday, and after that the problem has not yet submitted. It is hiding :joy:

I think that is better to reinstall Ubuntu Mate from zero. Just to be sure.

Hi Rick,

I suggest you use this method to save you some time with your fresh installation!: