Trouble upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04

update-manager didnā€™t show me the new version so I tried /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk and got the following error:

:~$ /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk
/usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/check-new-release-gtk:30: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version(ā€˜Gtkā€™, ā€˜3.0ā€™) before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk
WARNING:root:timeout reached, exiting

2 Likes

Hi camiller,

does this help at all?:

See also:

:smiley:

1 Like

Doesnā€™t help for me, Iā€™m on 17.10 and canā€™t upgradeā€¦

On 17.10, the Software Updater also doesnā€™t tell me that UM 18.04 is available. Had to start it manually with:

update-manager -cd

Itā€™s currently downloading packages.

4 Likes

Thanks! That worked for me!

Brilliant, working for me, thank you!

Doesnā€™t the ā€˜dā€™ flag get the development version?

I think the error is because I have two different versions of gtk

Doesnā€™t the ā€˜dā€™ flag get the development version?

Yes. I thought that maybe for some reason the Updater thinks 18.04 hasnā€™t been released officially yet.

I think the error is because I have two different versions of gtk

Iā€™m not sure it should matter. Theorically, the check-new-release-gtk software that you have on 16.04 should use Gtk2. Itā€™s possible though that it is Gtk2 but tries to run as Gtk3 because you have both versions installed.

In any case, does it work with the command I gave?

It seems to be working, downloading now

1 Like

Thanks terzag and camiller, this fixed the issue for me too.

I had to change to main server and back to < Area > Canada server and then do ā€˜update-manager -cdā€™ I got working now.

For reference, this particular error is actually harmless. Itā€™s a message aimed at the developer to be explicit which version should be used (itā€™s okay as itā€™s using GTK3 anyway)

Terzag, When I try your command all it tells me is that ā€œThe Software is up to dateā€, but I am still on 16.04. I tried wolfmanā€™s walkthru. It is currently downloading packages, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it is driving towards 17.10. Once the download is complete Iā€™ll know for certain.

Now that development for 18.10 has started, itā€™s probably a bad idea to use the -d option with update -manager. Have you tried with only the -c option?

Running the update manager command did not work for me.

So I was correct about the version before. Using Wolfmanā€™s walkthrough pulled down 17.10 for me. I have no idea why. It was as if the updater did not even know 18.04 existed. Well, for whatever reason once 17.10 was installed, once I rebooted it would not read input from any of my peripherals. Not one. So I had to boot into Windows (yuck), and setup a USB with 18.04. I did a wipe and install and am now on 18.04. It works fine.

One problem I noticed is that my wifi had no drivers. Why I had to hook up an ethernet cable to get MATE onto the internet boggles my mind. Now it is time to start the crawl of re-mounting my drives, reinstalling all my drivers, and reinstalling all my programs. Owell. The Updater was a nice fantasy at least.