Ubuntu MATE and Intel 945 graphic card issue

Hi there!

This is my very first topic, and sorry for the potential errors in my English.

Storyboard:
By the time I found out the Ubuntu MATE (Gnome 2) is the best solution for me and my needs and my work is fastest in this ā€œtype of Linuxā€
Everything was in absolute harmony and in peace, until one dayā€¦
Someone destroys my world with bad drivers in the kernel module.
Reinstalling the whole system or other manual efforts didnt help.
Ok, initial kernel image works fine with the graphic card but after system updates the sad story repeats again and again.

So let me explain the situation in few more details:

1. Older Samsung NC-10 (cute little netbook) 1Gb RAM
  2. Ubuntu MATE 16.04
  3. 32bit edition
  4. Intel 945 express on-board graphic card
  5. Initial kernel module in installation works with native screen resolution 1024X600
  6. All others kernels works only with 800X600 (from Advanced Mode during bootup-sequence)
  7. New kernels are unable to show 1024X600 (80% of screen is not shown), only 800X600

Then, for the testing purposes Linux Mint were installed just to check out the situation.
Almost the same story but somehow the latest kernel works fine on Linux Mint
and the same version of kernel dont works on the Ubuntu MATE (from the regular update)

But anyway I better prefer Ubuntu MATEā€¦ Ok I will use only initial kernel in 16.04 but waitā€¦
There is NEW OFFER on the download sectionā€¦ 18.04 BETA 1
Last night Iā€™ve download it and today was installed.
The version (in development at the moment) 18.04 works absolutely normal on my machine!?
YES!!!
Ok, I agree it is BETA 1, but no single issue with itā€¦
All of my favourite programs also works fine.
Iā€˜ve noticed the YouTube-DOWNLOADER missing in the Software Boutique and the KODI as well.
All other things works perfectly, also for the purposes of the testing were downloaded every possible update after the installing the system (including the new kernel for the 18.04)

So, I was forced to leave my beloved 16.04 because of graphic issues after updates of kernel module
but on the other hand 18.04 BETA works like STABLE and the graphic are normal again

Thank you
Once again I have the normal operating system
And I dont know what goes wrong with 16.04 after changing initial kernel with regular updates?

It is just onboard Intel 945 express graphic cardā€¦

Hi @Vladimir75,

try changing your software sources download location and updating again then tell us what happens!. :smiley:

See the update guide for more info:

Hi Wolfie!

Thank you for the detailed explanation and your time for this issue.
Ok I know, the operating system must cover lot of things not just what the eyes see.
Iā€™ve explain little weird situation with the drivers that exist in the installation packge but
not exist (or whatever) in further regular upgrades of maintainer.

For sure I will read carefully your topic because of potential same scenery in the future with this edition. Of course I hope this experience will not repeat.

But, let me enjoy now in the newest and functional system.
I am little tired of experimenting and reinstalling at the moment.
I have some work to do and it is again possible.
All my friends didnā€™t face this issue with their (other) graphic cards

Thank you again
Vladimir75

Hi @Vladimir75,

Intel drivers are part of the kernel so there is no need to install anything else, try what I suggested above and you should be good to go!. :smiley:

1 Like

Unfortunately 18.04 BETA is - BETA
Must go back to Ubuntu MATE 16.04 after facing some issues in games (flickering screen or very slow gameplay)

Well, I understand that the kernel contains drivers for many manufacturers
but I dont understand this:

Linux kernel 4.10.0-28 contains right driver but newer does not?

Even more>
Linux Mint (Sylvia) 4.10.0-37 NOT WORK
Ubuntu MATE 4.10.0-37 NOT WORK

but

Linux Mint 4.10.0-38 WORK
Ubuntu MATE 4.10.0-38 NOT WORK ???

I JUST WANT TO BE STUPID & HAPPY USER NOT DEVELOPER
No, I donā€™t want - I DEMAND :alien:

Please avoid this in further replyes:
a) ā€œif you want or demand to be just stupid & happy - then use the Microsoft Windowsā€ (I dont want to buy new computer just becaue of actual supported operating system on commercial basis, also I care about the nature - this netbook still works, maybe Bill Gates and Melinda have the money - me not)

b) ā€œif the Linux Mint works then use it instead of thisā€ (I dont like it, I like gnome2 traditional Ubuntu menu, also Mint bothers me with agressive wi-fi seletion which is not organized on same way like in Ubuntu MATE)

After checking the topic of Wolfman :sunny: the system informs me (VIA Terminal) that the package libllvm4.0 was automatically installed and is no longer required, after using ā€œsudo apt autoremoveā€ system removes 53.4Mb of somethingā€¦ Kernel 4.10.0-38 still not deal on the right way with Intel 945 chipset, but 4.10.0-28 works fineā€¦ :space_invader:

And just to be more clear - I allways select MAIN SERVER as default server for the updates. :+1:

To be more worse someone ā€œvery smartā€ (from the Intel company) removes the download source for the 16.04 Intel 945 driver :skull:

So many smart people so big mess around as the result
If you dont know what to do then go to theā€¦ toiletā€¦ :alien:

Any suggestion more?
What to copy paste in Terminal to resolve this graphic issue?
Pretty pleaseā€¦ :smiley_cat:

By the all of these years of using the computer I figured out one thing:

If you have any kind of issue with the free operating systems - support will shut up,
but if you have issue with the commercial systems - support will fool you around just because you have paid for it

So, free OS is better :construction_worker:

Hi,

firstly, you do not have to go on about free or a paid OS or other things unrelated, please stay on topic when replying. :smiley:

If 16.04 isnā€™t working for you, try 17.10, 18.04 is in Beta but works, you could also try that and see what the results are.

You can keep your data intact if you have a separate root and home partition by following this guide:

I donā€™t know where you got this idea from?. :frowning:

I have no single problem with pre-partioning process active, primary or logical partition typeā€¦

there are two methods:
a)
/boot
/
swap

or b)
/
swap

also no matter which type I choose ext4 or ext2
the problem is same - after replacing the initial kernel with the new one
I can enter the system only under awful 800X600 resolution

So I am forced to choose every time initial kernel from the boot menu if I want to work normally in 1024X600

So the question is still - how to fix or reinstall graphics with the latest kernel update?
Ok, okā€¦ this problem occurs only on my machine, my friends dont have no single issue with graphics, no matter which version of kernel they use.

And one more thing:when I enter the system under 800X600 there is no possibility in screen settings to choose higher resolution

When I use initial kernel - 1024X600 exists, also if this resolution is applied wide on the system, there is no changes if I choose new kernel after reboot.

Hmā€¦ something is weirdā€¦ I mean that I am finally enter the Ubuntu Mate 16.04 normally using the latest kernelā€¦ some kind of software stupidity

First, I found this useful link:

ok, itā€™s for nVidia but there is one useful advice that works

**_Reboot into GRUB._**

_ Highlight the Ubuntu option and press E._
_ Add nouveau.modeset=0 to the end of the line beginning with linux._
_ Press F10 to boot._

even this process I must repeat few timesā€¦
reinstalling the xorg didnt help, only this command line

Iā€™ve noticed graphics are smoother, firefox looks little different with this kernelā€¦ butā€¦ how to set mentioned command as automatic process during the boot instead to type it every time?

nouveau.modeset=0

I knew this would happen as soon as they decided
to make better graphics than commodore amiga 500,
paid 1200 DEM on 29.06.1991.

Hi @Vladimir75,

changing the screen resolution in GRUB is not really going to help you I wouldnā€™t think?. As I said before, Intel drivers are in the kernel so you must have another problem?, do you have a double GPU set-up? (switchable graphics), what is the make and model of your computer?.

Try using the latest version of Ubuntu Mate (Beta), it may simply solve the problem for you?.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

It is still a Beta but I am running it on a daily basis and it is fine!. :smiley:

1 Like

My system:

System: Host: SEC-NC10 Kernel: 4.13.0-38-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) info: mate-panel dm: lightdm
Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: Mobo: SAMSUNG model: NC10 Bios: Phoenix v: 09CA.M004.20090619.RHU date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191
clock speeds: min/max: 800/1600 MHz 1: 1595 MHz 2: 1595 MHz
Memory: No dmidecode memory data: try newer kernel.
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:27ae
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2

and also:

CPU: Single core Intel Atom N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB
flags: (nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3191
clock speeds: min/max: 800/1600 MHz 1: 1595 MHz 2: 1595 MHz
Memory: No dmidecode memory data: try newer kernel.
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:27ae
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes

I am little confused, now going to reboot and use kernel: 4.13.0-28 to see the differences
(for initial kernel no need to type nouveau.modeset=0 in GRUB)

Well, the only difference (after rebooting) is the version of the kernel module.
Now I am under 4.10.0-28 (32bit) and not under 4.13.0-38-generic i686 (32bit)

Something make this mess but I am just simple user and just wonder - WHY? :koala:

For sure I will migrate to the new version but as I mentioned before 2 days:

• lacking of software that I use (software boutique) by the default
  • missing APP GRID software centre
  • system booting fine with the both kernels (initial one and the second after update) but some games works fine other flickers or get too slow

Look, as the many others, when the Amiga Project was ended I migrate to PC with Microsoft Windows. Also order (in the past) free Ubuntu discs and keep them nowdays as the priceless artefact (Ubuntu 5.10)ā€¦ The Ubuntu MATE offers that traditional look like. Other Ubuntu editions are lacking with software centres or have different organization of desktop which slows me down in the work.
In the short period of time, because of UNITY (s)hell, Iā€™ve migrated to Linux Mint but the discovering of Ubuntu MATE was big happiness for me

Please guys, if it works donā€™t fix it
Everyone have an idea what to change things on the working stuffā€¦
and flee off when applied Ideas make mess

For the things I love, I can be stubborn and persistent
(Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not like that for other things)
Especially because for the first time I have someone who wants to help

This is an interesting proposition
The partitions are fine
Let me take advantage of my experience

Even in Microsoft Windows, the system canā€™t boot if something is wrong with the periphery or BIOS settings
Once was supposed to replace the USB mouse to make the system work.

And hereā€™s a lot more silly thing - HDD must be first on device boot list
but was not because Linux installs via USB flash :penguin:

I can not believe this was a problem? :mouse:
HDD to be the first boot device :bear:
To whom can this come to mind? :monkey_face:

Wolfie,
Thanks for the idea about hardware-related parameters :chipmunk:
Ich will dir einen schƶnen Tag :sunny:

Hi @Vladimir75,

try using 17.10 and the 64 bit version if you can (I still donā€™t know what your computer specs are, by that I mean the make and model!).

You are using the 32 bit version which might be part of the problem?, what is your partition layout like?, do you have separate root and home partitions?. :smiley: