Ubuntu Mate doesn't auto-detect display resolution

Hi! I made a custom distro of this fantastic OS and I want to share it with my friends but there is a problem… My friend has a Notebook with 1280x800 display instead I use a 1920x1080 display. The problem is that when my friend uses my distro in Live mode, his display doesn’t fits properly… For example the trash is out of range, is not visible and the power off button is moved on the left! Everything is bigger… Instead, if he boots the official Mate, the desktop fits perfectly. Why my custom distro doesn’t auto-detect display resolution? I also tried my custom distro on an another Notebook with 1920x1080 display and everything is alright… So it’s a resolution problem. Can anyone help me please? :slight_smile:

Edit: The distro is based on 14.10 32 Bit

Hi,

open System > Control Center > Hardware > Monitor > Detect monitors > once the monitor has been detected, set the display resoulution for his graphics card and then on Apply!.

Because you made your own ISO, it copied (I assume) your native graphics card settings?.

1 Like

The “Detect monitors” button is not available… Is gray… I think that it copied also my graphic card drivers… How to remove them from my PC?

You will need to install Synaptic if you don't have it installed with the following terminal command:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

and then use the search function for your graphics card drivers and when you are certain you know the package name, right click the package and select for complete removal, see my example pic:

IF YOU KNOW THE NAME OF HIS GRAPHICS CARD; YOU CAN INSTALL THE DRIVERS WHILST STILL IN SYNAPTIC BUT I RECOMMEND A RESTART FIRST AND INSTALL HIS DRIVERS AFTERWARDS.

Use the "Additional Drivers Tool" in Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers to find it.

For more info about removing packages, see this guide:

My graphic card is embedded in the motherboard… So I have to remove my motherboard drivers right?

Hi,

yes; remove your graphics card drivers on HIS computer!.

It would help if you know what graphics card he has!. :grin:

His computer is an Asus F3F :slight_smile:

This happened to me too with an upgrade on Friday. Just remove what ever drivers are install and then install the new ones. Reboot and all should be well :smile:

Is possible to remove these drivers before making the iso image? So who installs my custom distro will not have all these problems :slight_smile:

No it isn't as you made the drivers a part of the install process with the completion of the current ISO, if you make an ISO in the future, do not load your own graphics card drivers otherwise you will have the same problem as now!.

What you can do is to start in "recovery mode" and start the network (a network cable connection is required for this to work) then drop to "root" and type the following command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -f

RESTART AFTER RUNNING THE COMMAND WITH CTRL + ALT + DEL, do not click on RESUME!.

The above command should install any missing dependencies that you may have and may well sort out the graphics problem. That said, you should still try and determine which graphics card your friend has, open a terminal and type the following and you will get a readout:

lspci

You need to look at the highlighted part which will tell you what VGA controller he has and then you can determine which drivers (if any) you need to install!.