Ubuntu Mate & windows 10 Dual boot problem

I tried to burn the iso to the usb using “engrampa” once and “power iso” from another machine but both not working , I also tried more than 3 different usb sticks but same result at the end

This may help:

Disks is also a good one, never ever had a problem with it.

Hi @Amr.Magdy,

have you also disabled secure boot?:

See also:

Yes it’s disabled sure of it.

I’ve tried all the suggested solutions but non of them worked … can anyone suggest a way to get dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu mate ? even if that will wipe out all my data.

Well, I have found, by far and away the least problematic method is to install Windows first and Linux second. Linux plays nice with other OS’s when you install it alongside. Windows, in my experience, does not.

In other words, lift any data you need, wipe your hard drive and install Windows from scratch. Then, install Linux alongside from a USB. I have done this many times. So, if you need help with the Linux part of that process, let me know on here.

1 Like

Well I think you’ve given the best suggestion I intend to do so but still I have 2 problems … First of all clearing my hard or removing ubuntu . Second of all is if even that succeeded I still have the problem to boot windows so I think I may be in the same situation :confused:

If you install Windows first, then obviously, it should boot. If you then install Linux alongside, Linux’s grub boot loader will take over and will list MS Windows as one of the OS’s to boot from. If you choose Ms Windows from Grub, it will then pass on the boot process to the original Windows boot loader and Windows will load.

See below for a video I did for someone else showing how to set up a dual boot Windows Ubuntu Mate machine. The version of Windows in the video is XP but that wont make any difference. Also, I have shown how to do it in a virtual machine. Again, the process is the same for a bare metal machine

I don’t think you fully understand me … How will I wipe out my hard drive ? please help me with that and if I did so and now ( hypothetically in boot screen ) I can’t still install windows because I don’t have any other source for it but a live usb

Watch the video. You can wipe the entire drive when you install windows from scratch. But, be sure to have lifted any personal files beforehand.

Ah, well, if you cant install Windows for reasons that are not related to Linux, but are, instead, just a function of something being wrong with your Windows installer, then I cant help you with that. you’ll need to go on a Windows forum for advice on that.

Hi @Amr.Magdy,

if you want to wipe your drive, you can use Gparted which is included in the Live Ubuntu CD/USB image, or download a full ISO from the following link!:

http://gparted.org/download.php

If you know little about partitioning, please start here (UEFI info at the bottom of the guide with links!):

I don’t know I think linux took part screwing things up for windows at least that what I think so , anyways thanks for your efforts steve :slight_smile:

How about if you boot from the boot options menu? Depending on the make of the system, ESC, ENTER, or F12 will take you to the boot options. Manually select your USB stick and see what happens.

Did that already … always boots to ubuntu

It’s pointing to be something with that USB stick that you are using. Here’s what I would try next:

1. Use GParted to delete the partition
  2. Create a new Partition and format the filesystem to FAT32
1 Like

always the same I even did that with my other 2 usb sticks but I have some doubts my grub looks unsual with 2 more options can be found in that photo I took here.

Hi @Amr.Magdy,

go to this section “Part 4: Create a UEFI boot partition. + swap + root + home partitions.” in the partition guide and read through all the links provided:

That solved it THANKS !! the problem was with DISKS restoring images it changes the file system of the usb but I did what you suggested and extracted the iso file manually and it finally worked thank you guys for giving such a help all of you :slight_smile:

1 Like