Unable to Install Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Desktop 64-Bit

I am trying to install Ubuntu MATE 15.04 Desktop 64-Bit and it freezes after the screen where I fill in Username etc.
The downloaded ISO was checked with sha256sums and it matched. I have Ubuntu MATE 14.04.2 LTS 64-Bit currently installed within the linux extended partitions and that went fine. I tried the install from a DVD as well as a USB flash drive with the same problem. My system is running a legacy BIOS, so no EFI problems involved.

Since I am a new user here, I read we are not allowed to attach image files yet. I uploaded a screenshot from the install which contains an error message to a image hosting site. It is my first time trying it, so hopefully it works.

The link is posted below:

http://postimg.org/image/w4zypuxdf/

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed and did you fully format the USB stick to FAT32?.

Did you try pressing F6 at the start of the live disk and change the boot options?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

just recommend to use Gnome Disks, just click-right, and click to disk to writer, and click which you use USB with formatted!

simply sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-utility

Cheer up!

Yes I burned at the lowest speed, but Ubuntu MATE does boot up as expected for the install procedure. The installation is locking up part way thru giving the error message in the screen capture posted. The message displays pretty small, so it needs to be magnified a bit. I entered the username, password, logon automatically etc. After that it just seemed to stop installing. The system itself was still responsive, just the installation stalled.

I would try booting again and begin with the F6 option “noapic” and see if that helps!. :smiley:

@wolfman

I tried using the F6 option with “noapic” and the same problem occurred. First I pressed F6 and a Popup Menu type thing displayed with various options including “noapic”. After selecting noapic an X appeared. I had to press ESC to leave the Popup Menu and then rebooted. In case the ESC negated changing the option, I tried a second time manually typing noapic after the quiet splash but before the three — it displayed. Both times had the same result.

The interesting thing is I have installed Ubuntu 15.04 setting up the same way and it worked as expected. I thought Ubuntu MATE 15.04 uses pretty much the same installer. The Ubuntu MATE 15.04 installer starts to set up a EXT4 /boot partition and stalls at that point with the error displayed in the image file link I posted.

Thank you for the replies.

It has something to do with how you set-up your partitions by the looks of the pic, check my partitioning guide for a possible solution!. You need 3 partitions, root (/), swap (swap) and home (/home), you don’t need “/boot”!:

I have a predefined set of partitions the I have reused for several years.

It has Linux extended partition with several volumes within it.

/dev/sda5 = /boot Boot1

/dev/sda6 = / Root 1

/dev/sda7 = /home Home 1

/dev/sda8 = /boot Boot 2

/dev/sda9 = / Root 2

/dev/sda10 = /swap Swap 1

I have a second drive setup similar, but with more room for one Linux distro. It contains Mint 17.1 at the moment.

The Boot1 / Root1 / Home1 set of partitions currently contain Ubuntu MATE 14.04.2 64-bit.

The Boot2 /Root2 set of partitions contain Ubuntu 15.04 LTS 64-bit.

Whenever I want to test drive a distro, I install over the top of one set and rarely have a problem. When an install procedure gets to the partitioning part I choose “Something Else” and manually change to the desired EXT4 volumes within the Linux Extended partition.

If you are happy with your partition layout; then leave as is. I would download another copy of the ISO and try again, even though you checked the downloaded ISO for errors, doesn’t mean there aren’t any!. :smiley:

I believe this is the problem that I am having myself too. I have a 16GB and I ran the installer as is ((first mistake, did I say I am a novice?)). Noticing the errors in the install process. I was thinking that once done I can boot and run an update. When I reboot it only flashes a cursor and the system is unresponsive. Reading on boot repair and tested it last night ((now realizing that you can’t fix something if you don’t have it)). Conclusion I wold like to create these partitions. The millon dollar question is though. How big should these partitions be for a 16GB?

Side note and my opinion: if the system need these partitions to run, then why doesn’t the installer create them? For lame user like me who doesn’t know how big these are suppose to me.

All I can really suggest is you read this, it does try to explain about partition sizes: