Upgrade to 16.04 xenial is periodically freezing

pastebin does not appear to be in the repositories

My mistake, I have edited the above. Thanks

System: Host: larry-ThinkPad-E555 Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: System: LENOVO (portable) product: 20DH002QUS v: ThinkPad E555
Mobo: LENOVO model: 20DH002QUS v: SDK0E50510 WIN
Bios: LENOVO v: HTET45WW (1.17 ) date: 07/16/2015
CPU: Dual core AMD A6-7000 Radeon R4 5 Compute Cores 2C+3G (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 2200 MHz 2: 2200 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R4 Graphics]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD KAVERI (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri HDMI/DP Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (11.1% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: MKNSSDCR500GB size: 500.1GB

Very cool…i didn’t know you could use pastebin like that…thanks!.
Here’s the link…
http://paste.ubuntu.com/16247119/

I see nothing helpful in the logs.

There is a driver issue.

Could it of been a kernel upgrade? Try reverting back to an older kernel at grub boot.

You can also try running “dpkg” per the update guide! (A network cable connection is required!):

Interesting. I had an issue with those drivers in my original Linux distros as well (first was Mint second was earlier Ubuntu distro).

Cool…thanks.
I went into the software boutique yesterday and upgraded my outdated packages as well as resolved broken packages.

I think that may have worked because after that was running my system pretty hard for a few hours and there were no freezes at all. But i’m still a little concerned about the AMD drivers.

It froze again :frowning:

Further investigation lead to this:

Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may not work well, though Canonical and computer manufacturers will try to certify the system with future standard releases of Ubuntu.

So it came with 14.04 preinstalled?

If so, what is the manufacture recommendation for upgrading?

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201408-15472/

Hi @larryb,

try the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) to force any dependency issues you may be having:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

See the Radeon page too:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

No, it was pre-installed with Windows.

After i ran the update/upgrade there were 0 updates/upgrades.

After reading the link i ran the following…

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R4 Graphics] [1002:130b]

…and according to the link that v3xx shared, that should be the correct driver.

But when i run lspci -vvnn | grep VGA from the terminal i get some output that i don’t really understand…

Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R4 Graphics] [1002:130b] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-

I updated my kernel from 4.4 to 4.5 to see if that works. I’ll post if it freezes again, but so far so good.

1 Like

I think in trying to fix it i broke something with the kernel :confused: So i went back and undid some of the kernel 'upgrades' that i made and now my system is back to...
Kernel: 4.3.3-040303-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Now the kernel crashes when i boot up the computer. I am wondering if i don't have the correct kernel for my Ubuntu mate 16.04 xenial. Here's some of the specific things that are popping up when it crashes...

kernel crash
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2
UnreportableReason: This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove third party package and try again.

HookError:

JournalErrors:

Someone please help...ugh :cry:

Larry I’m out of ideas. If this happen to me, a system reinstall would be my next choice.

1 Like

Hi @larryb,

I second what @anon42388993 said about the re-install, I did this on two PC’s recently due to multiple problems, you can keep all your data intact if you follow this advice!:

Good idea…i will try that.

1 Like

I did the re-install and i think it worked. It’s been about two days now and i’ve had no problems.

Thank you so much, guys…i really appreciate the help.

2 Likes

Hi Larry,

leave it for a few days and then please mark it as solved (tick the box in best answer) once you are satisfied that it is running okay so it helps others!. :smiley: