Upgrading with a fresh install

I have my mom set up with Ubuntu MATE as her daily driver and am planning to upgrade her from 16.04 to 18.04 soon. My mom is the kind of person who is confused easily by technology, therefore I would like this to be as smooth as possible. There is no separate home partition that I can spare when I wipe the SSD here current installation is on, so I’m wondering what the best course of action is to ensure all her files and programs are carried over. (I always do a full reinstall as opposed to clicking the upgrade button on my own personal machines, which are less of a hassle because I understand Dropbox. Also, I’m not happy with how I partitioned her last install and want to ensure that I can take full advantage of 18.04’s new features).
Is there an easy way to accomplish this, or am I just going to have to copy her home folder and then write down everything that will need re-installation following the upgrade?

1 Like

Hi @chasbel2112,

I would firstly re-do your partition layout for future installs before doing your new install, see the partition guide and make sure you allocate a UEFI partition too:

When doing future installs, you could follow this guide:

There is of course updating via the terminal which you said you don’t really want to do!.

I hope it helps. :smiley:

1 Like