Why doesn't /etc/os-release updates itself (16.04 -> 16.10)

Heya,

Just a simple question: I am trying to locate which Ubuntu MATE version I am really running.

If I look at “System” menu -> “Welcome” the main menu states 16.04.

If I look under /etc/os-release it then states that I am running 16.04.1.

Yet if I look under Software Boutique it says “Version: 16.10.0xenial1.12”

At this point, I am pretty sure that I am running 16.10 as there are no pending update and upgrades.

So my question: why doesn’t /etc/os-release gets updated? Does it always point to the original install flavor or should it upgrade over time as the system evolves?

Thanks in advance,

DLS

user@me:/etc$ cat os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.1 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS"
VERSION_ID="16.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
user@me:/etc$ cat /etc/issue.net
Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
user@me:/etc$ lsb_release -sc
xenial

Software Botique’s version is “16.10.0-xenial1.12” meaning that it is the version that is in 16.10 but backported to xenial (16.04).

“/etc/os-release”, “/etc/issue.net”, and “lsb_release -sc” should all show the correct same info and are normally kept in sync as you upgrade.

2 Likes

Hello Dave,

Thanks a bunch for your quick answer!

What happens if you installed using a DVD of 10.04 LTS and manage to get it upgraded to 16.10? Am assuming that /etc/os-release alongside /etc/issue.net (and lsb_release -sc) will all echo back 16.10?

It should. Several of my systems started out as UM 15.04 and have been updated to 15.10 and then later to 16.04 LTS.

You REALLY wouldn’t want to start with 10.04 :grinning: because I’m not sure you can get here from there!

See also:

Thanks a bunch guys for, again, your fast and intelligent replies.

So at this point allow me to rewind one step and make the following statement:

I installed using a 16.04.1 image from online and then issued the upgrade over to 16.10 but, even though Software Boutique states that I’m on 16.10, /etc/os-release and co are all pointing over to (still) 16.04.1.

Do I need to fill a bug report for that? Am I the only one “affected” by this?

Please advise.

DLS

So, shall I fill in a bug report?

If it isn’t intereferring with anything then I wouldn’t bother myself!. :smiley:

The other files I mentioned are the real indicators of the OS version. If you completed an upgrade 16.10 and they still say 16.04.1 then that could mean an incomplete upgrade.

Note that Software Boutique is saying you are sill running xenial, ie. 16.04.1

It’s not a bug in Software Boutique.

I’m having a senior moment and can’t remember what package updates /etc/os-release and co. …

/etc/os-release is in the “base-files” package.

What version is “base-files”? Here is how to find out: use dpkg

dpkg -s base-files | grep 'Version'

My system, 16.04.1, says 9.4ubuntu4.2

1 Like