Why there is an VCE init error of my graphics cards?

The way to find out if you are using the propriety driver or open source one is the following:

Go the main menu and open System/Preferences/Hardware/Additional Drivers

If you are using a propriety GPU driver it would be listed there. It used to be the case that if you were using the open source driver, it would also be listed here. However, since 16.04, the open one is not listed. However, if neither the open source GPU driver nor a proprietary GPU driver is listed (indeed, a proprietary one can't be listed because there is not one currently available), we can safely assume it is the open source one being used.

Or, form a terminal, type the following:

lspci -k

In my case, it pushed out, amongst other things, the following:

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Bonaire [Radeon R7 200 Series]
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Bonaire [Radeon R7 200 Series]
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon

I am assuming "Kernel Driver" refers to the open source driver.

1 Like

I'm sorry that I can't see you picture (possibliy that I'm behind GFW in China),but I found the possition you're talking about.

so what the unknown devices is ? CPU or my GPUs?

I run the command lspci -k |grep adeon and get these

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8650G]
	Subsystem: Lenovo Richland [Radeon HD 8650G]
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars XTX [Radeon HD 8790M] (rev ff)

My Integrated graphics works well but the discrete one. why?
It shouldn’t be both works or neither of them works?

This suggest you have the open source Radeon GPU drivers in place for both of your GPUs. But I cannot tell which is the one actually in use.

rev ff means that the hardware is off. It’s my discrete card, and I want it work QwQ
but I still can’t find a solution

Hi @huangjj27,

have you run a full system update since installing?:

maybe not… I will get a trial, or I’ll reinstall it = =

It’s a guess, but I am wondering if, for whatever reason, Ubuntu is choosing, when faced with these two drivers, to default to the one you do not want. That being that case, is there any way to remove or disable the driver of the GPU you do not want to use and, in doing so, force Ubuntu to use the other one?

I have found this on the main Ubuntu forums. It may be of some help in terms of your problem. It makes mention of blacklisting certain hardware. In this case, your integrated GPU.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2231859

1 Like

I am wondering what if both GPU off after I blacklist my integrated GPU… it maybe that my computer will show no screen and I regrad it so risky and no to try…

when faced with these two drivers, to default to the one you do not want

what I want is to make both of them work as in window… but fortunately, this problem makes little influence on my work, and I not so emergent to fix it.

Hi @huangjj27,

can you disable the GPU (graphics card) you don’t want to use in BIOS?. :smiley:

havn’t tried yet. I’m afraid it will make my computer not work again as the windows 10 does

Surely it is a simple case of enable or disable the GPU, if it doesn’t work, just reset your BIOS to the factory default!. :thumbsup:

I turned on the UMA graphics mode, and it did disable my discrete graphics. However, it isn’t what I want.

how to get both cards work as in windows? just wait for the support from open source drivers?

When you disabled your on-board GPU, did Ubuntu then use your peripheral GPU? If it did then you can indeed have both cards work now, depending on whether you have the on-board one enabled or not. Obviously, you can’t have both of them operating simultaneously in a given session. However, they wouldn’t be able to operate simultaneously in MS Windows either.

Furthermore, by disabling your on-board GPU in the BIOS, thus allowing your peripheral GPU to work, this suggests that disabling your on-board GPU via blacklisting at the OS level would also work. Possibly via a nice, easy one-click bash script. Thus, you could possibly choose between the different GPUs by invoking thia script and then re-logging in.

why neither in MS? the prosperity drivers can make them render the screen at the same time with each rendering half of the screen, which is known as cross-fire. that’s what I want.

It would have helped if you had made it clear, from the start, that you wanted to use both GPUs simultaneously in one session. All of the advice given thus far, has not taken this into account and so, in fact, has been a bit of a waste of time for both yourself and the ones giving the advice. I will now take a look on the forums to see if what you want is possible.

1 Like

Since I am not acquainted with “Crossfire” I will not attempt to provide direct advice here. But, I have found a couple of links on it on Ubuntu forum threads to get you started:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2254477

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175581

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2336

1 Like

HI @huangjj27,

I must second @stevecook172001’s quote above as you failed to mention your end goal in the thread starter!. Please elaborate more as to what exactyl it is you want if Steve’s links don’t help you at all!. :thumbsup:

See also:

1 Like

thx
sorry that I didn’t make my question clear…

1 Like