Wifi used to work, now it's disappeared

I installed Mate 16.04 on my HP Pavilion a week or two ago. Initially wifi worked fine but then it would sometimes fail to reconnect after a suspend. I googled and, based on what I found, added “blacklist rt2800pci” to blacklist.conf. That appeared to solve the problem

Today I cannot get any wifi connection at all, not even after a reboot. I booted into Windows and wifi was fine. I booted from a USB with the same version of Mate on it and wifi was fine. I rebooted again - to the installed Mate - and there’s nothing.

Here’s the output from lshw:
aaaaa@AAAAA:~$ sudo lshw -C NETWORK *-network UNCLAIMED description: Network controller product: RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe vendor: Ralink corp. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list configuration: latency=0 resources: memory:c2510000-c251ffff *-network description: Ethernet interface product: RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0 logical name: eno1 version: 07 serial: a4:5d:36:7f:da:33 size: 10Mbit/s capacity: 100Mbit/s width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl8106e-1_0.0.1 06/29/12 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s resources: irq:25 ioport:3000(size=256) memory:c2404000-c2404fff memory:c2400000-c2403fff memory:c2410000-c241ffff

I’d be grateful for any help in solving this.

Hi @duvenhage,

try changing your software sources download location and updating again which might help?:

You could also try the following terminal command which also might help?:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is that my wifi doesn’t work at all and until I can get it working I won’t be able to download anything.

I’m also not sure about doing a dist-upgrade. I’m on 16.04 and have done regular apt upgrades while my wifi was still working …

I guess the quick answer is to reinstall, but that is, of course, no solution …

Just plug your laptop into a router for a few mins and try what I suggested above!. :thumbsup:

To keep all your data intact whenever you do a new install; follow this guide:

Did you try to restart network manager?
Try this:

sudo systemctl restart network-manager.service

I have only one problem with the wifi, after putting the machine into standby network manager does not work and I have to restart it manually. For me it is one of the major bugs on Ubuntu 16.04.