[Xenial] How to enable folder colors in Nemo, right now

#Introduction

As of the time of writing this, I've did some work in a live session and figured out what people need to do in order to enable folder colors. For some people, this is rather important, as it helps to mark their folders and differentiate them visually, which is good for a variety of reasons.

This is basically a rehash of my thread about installing Nemo except without the clutter of infinite edits, technical stuff (see linked thread for information about making Nemo your primary FM), and with information pertinent for those only interested in this extension. This information is very much subject to change. It is for people who want this right now without having to debug or figure out some crap that some PPA missed.

#First-time
If you're installing this for the first time in Xenial, then you'll want to do the following;
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/nemo sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:costales/folder-color #You'll see why later. sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nemo python-nemo folder-color-nemo folder-color-caja #Last package is just in case somebody prefers caja and wants the feature too.

That's it, you're done. Enjoy your shiny new folder colours. But what about the folder-color package? It's in Universe, so I can just install that! lolnope, it only seems to work in caja and nautilus, so you can't use that for nemo.

#After update
If you had followed my advice from the linked thread above before updating, then something in noobslab's PPA is fundamentally broken. And, since webupd8 fixed the problems I was having with compiz while using nemo as desktop, there's no need to use their PPA anymore. So to fix this;

nemo -q #If using Nemo as desktop sudo apt-get --purge autoremove -y nemo* python-nemo folder-color-nemo #Yeah I know, IDK why removing the last package is necessary either; Explained below sudo rm -rf /etc/apt/sources.list.d/noobslab* #Tab-complete this to their nemo repo if using multiple noobslab repos sudo rm -rf /var/cache/apt/archives/* #Just to have a fresh start and ensure apt doesn't get confused sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/nemo sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:costales/folder-color #Just in case you didn't have it sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nemo python-nemo folder-color-nemo folder-color-caja #Last package is just in case you didn't have it for Caja, if you cared.

I don't know if it's removing everything altogether that fixes it, or if it's fully removing folder colours for Nemo, but the above just works and I didn't feel like refining it any further. So enjoy Nemo if you prefer to use it as your FM, and enjoy being able to use visually-distinct folder colours and icons for different directories.

3 Likes

I removed the stuff about webupd8 because it’s not true; I jumped the gun before confirming where folder-color comes from, it’s in Universe.