10 Questions: How to avoid conflicts when installing and updating software through terminal and multiple software centers?

Coming from a Windows environment to Ubuntu MATE, I am confused about the way software is installed on Ubuntu MATE. I know there is not only one way but many to install software. One can use the Terminal or various Software Managers. So far so good and I like that flexibility. Here are my questions:

1. Are there any conflicts when using multiple software managers? For example, can I install an app through one software manager and deinstall the very same one through another? (Software Manager-Software Manager conflicts)

2. When using the Terminal for installation and updates, must I continue to do so for the software I have installed or can I choose to deinstall and update the same software through, let's say, the App Grid? (Terminal-Software Manager conflicts)

3. Does the Software Boutique, on a technical level, deal with software in the same way a Software Manager does? (Software Boutique-Software Manager differences)

4. Is it best to only choose one software manager and exclusively run all installations, deinstallations and updates through it or do different software managers deal with entirely different kind of packages? (Software Manager recommendation)

5. I have installed the reference manager Zotero through the Terminal. If it is included in a future version of the Software Boutique, would I have to first deinstall it through the Terminal before being able to install it (and receive updates) through the Software Boutique? (specific case)

6. How do I know whether any software I have installed is set to receive automatic updates through the Software Updater? Do software managers like App Grid and Ubuntu Software Center notify the Software Updater when new software is available to be installed or how else can I make sure that I have the latest software packages installed? (Software Updater-Software Manager communication/notification)

7. I subscribed to receive updates for the Welcome package and I assume this includes any changes made to the Software Boutique. Why are some programs set to automatically receive updates such as Libre Office whereas other software I have installed does not have such an automatic update option? (Software Boutique automatic software updates)

8. The Synaptic Package Manager looks different from App Grid, Software (I suppose this is the GNOME Software Center?) and Ubuntu Software Center. How is it different compared to the other software centers and the terminal? Do I understand it correctly that with the Terminal you can basically install everything, but Synaptic Package Manager deals with different sources/packages than the other Software Centers? (Synaptic Package Manager relationship to other Software Centers and Terminal)

9. What is the difference between Apt, PPA, and Snap sources?

10. Why does the Software (Gnome?) application and the MATE Terminal appear under Applications > System Tools, whereas App Grid, Software Boutique, Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager are categorized under System > Administration after installation? Is there any particular reason for this menu categorization?

To answer your questions simply:

1. No conflicts. Behind the software manager or terminal is apt.

2. You can use any software manager or the command line… it’s just apt.

3. The Boutique has no technical differences, it’s just apt. It also works on any other Ubuntu-based distribution too.

4. It’s entirely up to you if you’d like to use one or multiple software managers. I personally don’t use a “software centre”, but rather Synaptic, Software Updater or the terminal, whichever one seems convenient at the time.

5. It depends. You say you installed Zotero through the terminal.

• Anything that installs from the Ubuntu repositories will definitely get updates.

• Any package that came from a source or PPA will get updates via that repository. Sometimes external repositories package newer versions faster then the Ubuntu one.

• If the application was to be added to the Boutique in future, then it depends if it uses the same repository and whether you want to “switch” to a different repository or not. As it’s just apt, it was seen as “Installed” as the package is installed.

1. Software Updater and software managers do not communicate with each other. They talk to apt. Software Updater runs in the background and appears according to your settings set in Software & Updates.

There was a discovery that Software Updater’s behaviour rolls out updates in stages so any (rare) problematic updates can be withdrawn without affecting any more users.

2. “Subscribing for updates” in Boutique adds the Welcome repository, which contains much newer versions then the one in the Ubuntu repository. This also means new/updated content for the Boutique. :slight_smile:

The same applies here for LibreOffice, where users can optionally add the LibreOffice PPA in the Boutique and get the latest version that otherwise would not get pushed to the Ubuntu repository for stability reasons.

The system will be updated according to the latest version in whichever repository your system has. For example, if it’s just Ubuntu’s repo, then you will only get the latest version from there, whereas adding LibreOffice’s repository (PPA) will package newer versions.

3. There’s package managers and software centers. They both do the exact same thing – work with apt. The only difference is the interface – software centres are much more user friendly whereas package managers like Synaptic are more suited for advanced users with its focus on packages, not software names.

• :slight_smile: :speech_balloon: → Hey, I’d like a photo editor… GIMP looks good!
    • :nerd: :speech_balloon: → I need gimp, gimp-data but not gimp-data-extras.
  4. Time for some terminology:

• APT = Advanced Packaging Tool

• This is the software that manages packages for Debian and Ubuntu.

• In other Linux distros, they use different tools like pacman (Arch) and yum (openSUSE).

• Packages

• Your entire system is divided into packages.
      • Everything - Kernels, drivers, utilities, desktop (MATE) and your chosen applications.
    • Dependency

• When a package depends on another package to function.
      • A library for instance can be easily shared between programs.
      • Packages may refuse to install if a particular package it needs doesn’t exist.
      • Conflicts happen when a package needs one but can’t use the other, such as different versions of that same package.
      • No more Windows “DLL hell” and “Can’t start. You need to install xxx to use this…” nuisance! :slight_smile:
    • PPA = Personal Package Archive

• Packages provided outside the Ubuntu repository.
    • Anything in the Ubuntu repository is guaranteed to be safe as it has been checked, verified and tested. Software from a PPA may be newer, unstable, buggy or even dangerous (although those PPAs will be taken down if they are harmful).

• The same judgement should be applied like downloading Windows software – is it safe? Can you trust it? Do other people use it?

• Snap Packages

• Canonical’s new technology to package stuff.
    • [See here for some details about it.] (https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/04/13/snaps-for-classic-ubuntu/) It’s still new to me.

5. And finally, managing the software on your system is what it is – an Administration tool. The terminal is a “swift army knife” that does a whole lot more then manage the system and install software. :wink:

Whew! :sweat_smile: That’s a lot! I hope it clarifies your questions. :slight_smile:

It’s also come at a good time as I’m thinking of adding some documentation to Welcome to describe how the system manages software.

12 Likes

Brilliant! Luke, thanks so much for answering these questions with so much care and clarity and I am glad to hear that you are thinking of adding some documentation about software management to the Welcome application.

3 Likes

The following might also interest you?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PackageManagerTroubleshootingProcedure

Currently the Software Boutique doesn’t list App Grid anymore under More Software. Why was it removed? I thought Ubuntu Software Center is going to be discontinued or at least no longer supported and Gnome Software Center is not working properly in Ubuntu MATE (constantly slowing down due to strange updates; at the moment I cannot get it to start at all).

Hmm… I’m seeing App Grid here, on Boutique version 1.11

Oh that was my mistake. I didn't know App Grid is proprietary. I had the Hide Proprietary Software box ticked. Is there any possibility to add free or proprietary below the software icons on the left side in the Software Boutique? Like this all software can be listed but it is immediately visible what is proprietary and what is not.

Well, the Boutique already shows details about its license status when clicking the Drtails button. It doesn’t seem necessary to add mini icons to the program’s icon too. Proprietary isn’t that evil after all. :wink:

Instead, we could consider showing a “2 proprietary applications hidden, Click to enable” at the bottom, similar to the search results.

1 Like

I think this is a good suggestion! I still think the solution with mini icons on the left would look very elegant though.

@CrazyDesi has made a similar point in this thread. It is not simply a matter of avoiding proprietary software but rather about allowing users to make an informed decision and having a smoother computing experience. I would suggest three tags/labels: Free, Proprietary, and Commercial (payment necessary in order to use the full functionality of a program). I really like to campaign a bit more for this. :grinning:

Do you think this topic should be moved to a new thread? @lah7