16.10 fails to start

I have tried two different ISO images and on each occasion am unable to start 16.10 Mate …
The monitors just turn off … “DVI No Signal”

I installed 16.04LTS Mate with no issues and after updating and re-booting used “sudo do-release-upgrade -d” to install 16.10 Mate … rebooted after upgrade …

Computer starts … Monitors turn off “DVI No Signal”

Graphics card is NVIDIA GT970

I am no expert with Linux but not a novice either as I have used Arch Linux as my primary desktop OS for the past 4 years … Can anyone shed some light on this ?

Hi @Toppy,

shut your PC down but keep the monitor running, look for the reset function and reset the monitor, restart your PC. :smiley:

Double check that the cable isn’t loose!. :thumbsup:

Happy New Year. :smiley:

@Wolfman … Thx for the suggestion, all connections checked.
PC boots happily into Arch Linux, Linux Mint, (and dare I say it … a copy of Windoze 10 that is infecting my HDD) :grinning:

I have tried booting to console, removing ‘quiet’ and ‘splash’ so I can see what is going on but with 16.10 Mate I don’t even get that … monitor shuts off as soon as 16.10 tries to load VESA driver

16.04LTS Mate works without issue

Hi @Toppy,

if Grub is up and running; boot into recovery mode and run “dpkg” (a network cable connection required) per the update guide:

@wolfman

Thanks for the help.
I followed your suggestion as I am able to boot to grub … dpkg completed with no available updates/no broken packages.
Since the issue appears to be with video, I booted from Rescue Mode to a command prompt and after installing build-essentials downloaded the latest nVidia drivers with wget and installed them … rebooted …

Grub loads, system starts, monitors turned off again … it’s got me beat as my other OS’s are running fine

Hi @Toppy,

try dropping the nvidia driver version in recovery again with the following command:

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-352 && sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

nvidia-352 is an example only, replace that part with the correct name of the drivers you installed!.

RESTART WITH CTRL + ALT + DEL. DON’T CLICK ON RESUME!.

1 Like

Hey @ Wolfman

It’s alive !
Manual install of nVidia driver did not work, in my haste I forgot to blacklist the nouveau driver.
Using grub recovery I booted back to a command prompt and added the ppa:graphics-drivers, updated and installed nvidia-375 from the repo
Reboot … and it all works

Thank you so very much for your help, it’s greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Excellent news @Toppy . Happy New Year. :smiley:

@wolfman … right back atcha Sir, Happy New Year … thx again

1 Like

A quick update if anyone else is experiencing this issue …

Edit the grub command line and add … nomodeset … then boot, worked for me :relaxed:

1 Like

Hi @Toppy,

I had a lot of problems with UM 16.10 and stopped using the Nvidia drivers as it seemed to work better without them!. :confused:

@wolfman

Hello again :slight_smile: … My issues are with the nouveau driver … it’s not just UM 16.10, latest releases on many distros are exhibiting this issue (Arch, OpenSUSE, Fedora) yet it only seems to be with the nVidia GTX970 graphics cards.

Once I get the nVidia drivers installed all works as it should for me, it’s just the initial boot with nouveau causing the problem. UM 16.04 LTS boots and installs without issue, so I assume something has been changed/updated with nouveau that doesn’t like nvidia 970s

1 Like

Hi @Toppy,

I must admit that I don’t like Ubuntu Mate 16.10 :thumbsdown: as it doesn’t have all what I want, I just took a look at Ubuntu Budgie 16.10 and it is looking good!. :smiley: It is fast even in live mode (from a USB stick)!. :smiley: :thumbsup: