18.04.2 Welcome Screen and Software Boutique showing blank/empty screens

Hello!

Thanks for any help in advance!

I just updated everything from 18.04.1 to 18.04.2 on my notebook and now I'm getting a blank screen on the Software Boutique and the Welcome Screen.

I updated with the Software Updater, and restarted twice after updating.

My notebook is an HP Pavilion 15, its processor is AMD APU A10-5750M and its graphics card is Radeon HD 8650G.

I've read several posts about a similar issue but with the 32-bit version of Mate (I'm on 64-bit), and/or running it on VirtualBox (I'm on real hardware!).

However, I tried their workaround with no luck:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1806459/comments/3

I also tried running:
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 ubuntu-mate-welcome

and:
ubuntu-mate-welcome --software-only

with both resulting in the same blank screen and logging:

[Welcome] Version: 19.10.0
[Welcome] Application Ready.
failed to create drawable
[Welcome] Application Closed

When I run:
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose ubuntu-mate-welcome

I get:

[Welcome] Version: 19.10.0
[Welcome] Application Ready.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/userubu/.drirc: No such file or directory.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/userubu/.drirc: No such file or directory.
failed to create drawable
[Welcome] Application Closed

The first error I got after updating and restarting was an error with webkit2gtk, that I read on other posts that may be the culprit.

I am also kind of concerned that all the other posts I see are from people with different setup.

Is there something else I can check or try on my system?

I wouldn't mind that much not getting the Welcome Screen back but would be nice to have available the Software Boutique.

Thank you all!

Take a look at this page - https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/welcome

It explains snaps and the snap installation and also permits using the ppa to install the welcome screen without snaps which brings the software boutique along with it.

Good luck @kenshin9786

2 Likes

Great, thank you!

This should be the fastest forum response I've ever received :smiley:

I uninstalled the snap version and reinstalled it via apt and they both work again (The Welcome Screen doesn't show up after login but that's ok for me).

I should go back to the snap version when this updates are available, is that right?

It's your choice. Both the ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome and the snapd + snap install --classic software-boutique work just fine.

1 Like

Got it :ok_hand:

Thank you, again!